Chapter 23: I Don't Want To Miss A Thing

I don't know what happened but I found myself glancing up at a white wall. My vision was hazy and blurry. I couldn't quite get my eyes to focus on anything. They were going in and out. I blinked a couple of times before I could see the pale wall. My eyes followed down to what was in front of me. My body laid there covered in thick white blankets. I was laying down on a high sliming bed with rails up on each side. I caught a glimpse of my arm, it had tubs taped to it along with a thick hospital band that read, Theresa A. Jackson. I felt my eyebrows furrow, as the confusion rolled through my brain. It didn't take me long to realize I was in a hospital, but how I had came to be there was a huge mystery to me. I couldn't remember anything at all.

I glanced towards the window out towards the sky. It was just now breaking dawn. I could tell by the way that the highest part of the sky was deep dark blue with stars all across it and the lowest parts were slowly turning to a light blue. The light that entered the room hurt my eyes. I quickly turned my attention away from the window and rested them upon a woman who was wearing royal blue scrubs. She had her back turned to me. I opened my mouth and tried to speak but my throat was so dry; it felt as if I hadn't had water in months. The only thing that escaped my lips was a moan.

The woman spun on her heels so quick that I thought she would fall. Her big hazel brown eyes widened as if she was shocked. Her face then relaxed and she walked towards me. " My God, Mrs. Jackson you're awake!" she said as she checked the machines. She had a huge smile stretched across her face as she turned back to me." How do you feel?"

I opened my mouth and tried to speak but my words was lost in the dryness of my throat.

"Here," She said softly. " This ice will help with that, just let it melt on your throat. You've been out for a while. We weren't expecting you to wake up for another two and a half weeks." She said as she slid the ice in my mouth. As soon as the cool wetness of the ice hit my parched throat it started to feel better. "I have to go get the doctor. Just continue to suck on that ice. "

I wondered what she meant when she said that I had been out for a while. I felt as if I had went into a deep sleep for at least twenty four hours. I continued to suck on the ice while I waited for someone else to come in.

Soon an older man came in with a long coat on. He gave me a smile. " Hi, Mrs. Jackson, how are you?" He asked.

I swallowed the last bit of the ice cube the nurse had give to me. I swallowed hard and tried to clear my throat. "Why..." was the only word that escaped my lips.

He walked over to me and shined a light in my eyes." Can you follow the light please?"

I obeyed, following the light from left to right and up and down. " I see no funny eye movements. That's good. How's your breathing, are you having a problems breathing?" He asked. "Nod yes, or shake your head no. "

I shook my head.

He took a cup and held a straw up to my mouth." Here, drink as much as you can."

As soon as the water ran down my throat I found myself drinking the whole thing down. Why am I so thirsty? I asked myself. When I was done he pulled it away from my mouth and handed it to the nurse. " Do feel any pain in your ribs or your arms or legs?"

I shook my head. "I....feel...really numb." My words came out in a whisper.

" That's expected, don't worry."

"Should I call her family?" The nurse asked. " Visiting hours will be start ending very soon."

He studied me as his thick graying eyebrow rose slightly." Yes, call them and tell them she's finally awake."