Chapter 24

I wake up from my sleep to find a white ceiling with bright overhead lights. I quickly shut my eyes and move my head away from the light. I hear beeping and see me connected to wires. I hear snoring and look down to see Mark with his head on his arms and his hand holding mine. I rub my thumb over his fingers and he stirs before looking up at me with those blue eyes I have missed. 

"Evelyn." He leans up to give me a kiss on my forehead. I try to sit up, but he pushes me back. "Relax, ok. I'm right here Princess." I remember what he said to me.

"I love you too Tiger." I smile as he remembers. The nurse comes in and smiles.

"Oh thank heavens, I was worried you wouldn't wake up. This young man sure is a keeper." Mark blushes as he tries to hide it.

"Why were you worried I wouldn't wake up?" I ask curiously.

"My dear, you've been in a coma for a week." She says as she checks my vitals and i'm laying in the bed, shocked.

"H-how?"

"You lost a lot of blood, sustained some swelling to the brain, and the bullet went through, almost hitting your spleen."

"I didn't feel anything hit me." 

"That's because of the adrenaline from the fight." She puts a hand on my shoulder, "it's natural for you not to feel something till afterwards."

"Can I see my brother?" The nurse nods and leaves the room. I lay my head back against the pillow, crying.

"Princess, what's wrong?" Mark asks me. I make some room for him up on the bed without him getting the cables broken. He lays down on the bed and wraps his arms around me, causing me to lay my head down on his shoulder.

"I must've scared everyone." I start crying and Mark rubs circles on my back to calm me down.

"You're fine, ok. You're awake now, that's all that matters." I kiss him on the cheek and see my brother come in with a wheelchair with a nurse pushing him, "I'm going to go get some coffee. I'll be right back." Mark says, giving me a kiss on the cheek and leaving after he gets off the bed. Luke is rolled up to the bed and I reach for his hand, which he grabs.

"Little sis, what happened?"

'I don't know. All I know is that Annabelle and I..." Oh crap, I completely forgot about Annabelle. "Um excuse me miss?" I ask the nurse. She comes up to me.

"Yes?"

"Can you see if a Annabelle Jensen checked in?" She nods and I thank her, leaving to go get the information.

"Everything ok?" Luke asks me.

"We got into a fight. How I managed to fight off multiple people, I have no clue. I think all those fighting classes you took me to really help, even though I insisted that you were taking me for no reason." He laughs.

"You begged mom and dad to not let you go." 

"I guess i'm the one who should be saying sorry to you." I say and he tries to lean his head up to give me a kiss on my head, but I help him out by leaning down a bit. "When are you supposed to be discharged?"

"Tomorrow. We were all worried about you. Hale, May and Derek. I don't think I've ever seen May so shook up before." Luke says when there's crying. I look at the doorway and it's my two best friends and Derek. May runs towards me and gives me the biggest hug ever.

"Oh I was so worried about you." She says, crying. Hale and Derek come over and pat me on my blanket covered leg. Derek wraps May up in his arms and cries on his shoulder.

'Are they dating?'I

I smile at that. They are perfect for each other. 

"I think it's time for Evelyn here to have her medicine." The nurse says, then remembers something, "Oh Evelyn, Annabelle has already been checked out. She only suffered a sprained ankle and a bruised rib." I nod in agreement just as Mark walks in with a cup of coffee in his hand.

"Hey guys." He says, making his way back to the side of the bed. Luke goes back to his room and Hale, May and Derek are all on the couch in the room. Mark sets his coffee down on the table that is at the foot of the bed. 

"How's Annabelle?" I whisper and he looks up at me with my hand in his.

"She's doing good. She visited you a lot while you were asleep. She thanks you." 

"She doesn't have to. She's my friend, I would've done the same thing for you, Hale, May, or Derek."

"Now you have me, i'll protect you till the day I die." Mark kisses my hand, "Now, princesses need their beauty sleep." 

"What if-" I start. I just woke up, I don't want to slip back into a coma. Mark moves onto the bed next to me and wraps his arms around me.

"I'll be here, always. I won't desert you princess." I lay my head on his shoulder and he kisses the top of my head. 

"Some days, I wonder how I managed to snag you when you had girls throwing themselves at you left and right."

"You gave off a mysterious vibe, one that intrigued me. You didn't use any spell except your personality. You aren't like the other girls, you dressed how you wanted. You didn't care what people thought." Mark says.

"Evelyn!" Annabelle says ecstatically , coming into the room before seeing Mark and I, "Oh uh, did I interrupt something?"

"No you didn't. What are you excited about?"

"Principal Barnhart was fired last night during the school board meeting. He confessed to everything, got his license revoked, Brittney is in jail for kidnapping, and expelled from the school." I'm shocked before I start crying. Annabelle looks at me before running to my side. "Oh gosh, was it something I said?" Mark shakes his head.

"No, it's tears of joy. See that smile on her face?" Mark says.

"I'm happy. All the issues have finally been uncovered, thanks to Annabelle here." I say, smiling.

"I'm glad Evelyn." Annabelle says, before grabbing a chair to sit in and I look around the room. Hale, May, and Derek are goofing off on their phones, showing funny stuff they found, Annabelle is asleep, and Mark is next to me. 

"What are you thinking princess?" He whispers in my ear.

"How i'm lucky to have friends and a boyfriend like you." I reply. I fall asleep with a smile on my face.