Chapter 18

"Hey, i'm sorry about this morning with my brother." I say as we're driving to school. Somehow, Mark happened to have a change of clothes in his car for incidents like this. I feel something grab my hand and I look down to see that Mark reached over to grab my hand and squeeze it.

"Eve, no need to be upset about what your brother did. He's just being the protective big brother." I smile and nod. We arrive at the school and automatically, I want the ground to swallow me whole. Brittney, her sister and her clique are standing directly in front of the school doors, huddled and glaring at me. 

"Crap, I can't do this." I look down, trying to hold my tears in. 

"Evelyn. Don't let them get to you. They will never compare to you and I only have eyes for you." He grabs my face and gently turns me to face him and he leans in to kiss me. It's honestly what I have never felt before. We pull away and I smile. "Wait in the car, i'll come get you." I nod and he gets out and I look to see Brittney walk this way, swaying her hips. Mark gets to my door and opens it, holding out a hand for me. 

"Thank you." I whisper and I grab my backpack before shutting the car door. 

"Well, I see you never learn my dear Evelyn." Brittney sneers at me. 

"Britt, just leave her alone. Honestly it's you that never learns." I gasp and look at Mark. She sneers at me and I suddenly get the confidence to do what I've always wanted to do for a while' I get go of Mark's hand and walk right up to Brittney's face.

"Listen here and listen good. It's not my fault I stole the quarterback from you. Honestly, he was never yours to begin with. You are the rudest person, both you and your sister who you both find entertainment in bullying the nerd who just happens to be dating 'your man'. It's not what's on the outside, it's whats on the inside that counts for everything." There I said it. I walk backwards and see that I've collected a crowd. Mark wraps his arms around me and I lean on his chest.

"Damn Eve." I smile into his chest. 

"Alright people move out of the way." Drake, May, and Hale make their way towards us. 

"Guys, what are you doing here?"

"We just happen to get enough proof of Brittney and her sister." May says as she shows me the video. Suddenly the phone gets snatched out of May's hand.

"What the hell?" May squeals. "Give me my phone back." 

"Nope. Not happening." And Brittney chucks the phone to the ground, having it get ran over by an incoming vehicle. Oh crap.

"Dammit May. Don't you dare. This is what she wants." I tells her. Drake is trying to hold her back before she lashes out, getting my butt suspended again. My parents find out, i'm screwed.

"Mark, i'd hang on to her if I were you." Brittney sneers before walking towards the school. 

"Alright people. Show's over." Hale says to the crowd who return with grumbling.

"Crap, now what are we gonna do?" I say once May relaxes and we're all standing in a circle. 

"Whatever is happening, it's going down soon." Drake says. 

"Come on Eve, let's get to class. We'll figure something out during lunch." Mark says, leading me away from our friends. 

"You don't think she's gonna give up, do you?"

"Nah, she's too stubborn for that. That's for dang sure." Mark tells me. I sigh and walk towards what could possibly be the longest school day ever. 

"Josh isn't going to leave us alone, is he?" I ask Mark once we get to our lockers.

"No, he won't stop till he gets you, which will never happen." The bell rings and I grab my chemistry stuff to take to class. Mark walks with me since we have the same class. We walk in and all eyes are on us. I look down and hide behind Mark.

"Oh look at her. Thinks she's all popular just because she's dating the quarterback."

"He picked her?!"

I make my way to my seat and Mark sits down next to me. I start shaking and I hide my head behind a textbook.

"Hey, princess, you'll be fine, I promise. Their just jealous of what we have." I look at him and see him smile.

"Ok Tiger."

"That's my girl. Don't let them get to you." Mark finishes just as the teacher starts the class.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Whew, glad that's over." We just finished a class lab on how different chemicals mix together.

"Indeed. Let's get some lunch." Mark agrees and holding hands after putting our stuff away, we make our way to the cafeteria where all the talking stops.

"Aw come on, can't I catch a break?" I whisper and Mark squeezes my hand. We walk inside and I ignore all the whispers and I get mac and cheese, broccoli, and a vitamin water. I go to hand the cashier money, but she just smiles at me, shaking her head.

"No need to dear, he already bought your lunch." She says and I nod, walking over to where he sat down at. I see Derek and he waves me over, taking a seat next to Mark.

"Hey Evelyn, long time no see." Derek says.

"Hi Derek." I soon realize that everyone is watching me. Mark wraps his arm around me protectively.

"Ok guys, back to what you were doing." Derek yells and everyone immediately goes back to eating.

"Thanks Derek."

"Anytime Princess, at your service." He says in a British accent and does his best to give a bow without ending up with food in his face. I start laughing. Someone taps me on the shoulder and I look up to see a girl with black rimmed glasses hiding pretty blue eyes, long brown hair, wearing a blue dress with leggings and tan riding boots. She looks scared since Mark is giving her the death glare.

"Mark knock it off. She's not one of them." I elbow him in the side which he groans. I turn back to the girl, "Something wrong?"

"N-no actually. I uh have something I would like to show you, but not here. The library during 7th period?" She asks quietly.

"Sure." She smiles and goes to leave, but I grab her wrist, "Hey, no need to be scared, ok?" She nods and I let her go. I go back to eating with Mark and Derek giving me a look. "What now?"

"How do you know you can trust her?" Mark asks.

"Instincts. You should try it sometime." I smile and Derek starts laughing with Mark glaring at him. I lightly punch him in the shoulder, telling him i'm just playing. I put the drink in my bag, stand up, grab my trash, and walk to the garage can. I end up slipping on something and end up on the ground on my back with my lunch all over me. Brittney and her minions are standing close by, laughing at me. I see the black rimmed glasses girl with her phone out, but my instinct tells me to trust her.