Chapter 9

Mark's P.O.V

I hear the door open and I duck behind the desk.

"Can I help you?"

"Yes, you can actually." Please tell me that not who I think it is. "Want to hang out tomarrow?"

"Umm sorry i'm busy." Evelyn walks backwards and the guy is following her. She trips over my legs.

"Ow damnit!" I swear and look to make sure Evelyn's ok. She nods and I look up at the guy to see my ex best friend, Josh. I slowly grab Evelyn's hand, and pulling her up to stand behind me. No way am I letting Josh steal Evelyn.

"Mark, what's going on?" Evelyn asks. I'm locked in a staredown with Josh.

"Evelyn, meet Josh, my ex-best friend." I tell her, still locking eyes with him.

"That's no way to greet an old friend." Josh says and she tightens her hands around my arm.

"Leave Evelyn out of this Josh." I walk around, still facing Josh since the bell just rang for everyone to leave. Evelyn grabs her backpack and we walk out, Josh surprisingly following us. We make it out of the library and Evelyn locks the doors.

"No can do." He gets called by some of his buddies and looks at Evelyn with a creepy smile, "i'll be back for you sweetheart." He walks away and I see the shock on Evelyns face. I wrap her in a hug and we walk to the parking lot.

"Evelyn!" I see a girl and a guy waving over underneath a tree and Evelyn just takes off running with me on her heels.

"May! Hale!" They envelope in a group hug before the guy looks at me funny.

"Evelyn, who's he?" The guy asks.

"Oh my bad. Sorry Mark. May, Hale meet Mark." I shake each of their hands. Hale is giving me weird glares.

Evelyn's P.O.V

I introduced Mark to Hale and May, but i'm starting to think Hale doesn't like Mark.

"Hale, what is your problem?" I ask him.

"Evelyn, he is bad news." Hale replies.

"How is he bad news? He cares about me, but the one thing i'm worried about is what just happened. Mark made a promise to protect me with all this stuff going on in school." His face goes all wide and stomps up to Mark. I look at May and we both dart to them before they start fighting.

"Mark, you better keep your fricking promise. She's my best friend and I don't need anything bad to happen to her under your watch, got it?"

"I will." Mark replies. I smile and see three girls walking my way.

"Oh crap. Guys." I point and they all look. Mark stands next to me with his arm around my shoulder, May and Hale stand on the other side of me.

"What do we have here." Brittney sneers at me. "My daddy told me he caught you two walking the hallway."

"Why did you have to do that to my locker?" I ask Brittney. She laughs.

"Why little duckling, Brittney wants Mark back." Ashley sneers.

"Get your hands off my man, weirdo." Brittney says, coming towards me, but being stopped by Hale.

"Don't you dare mess with her. You mess with her, you mess with all of us." I make a mental note to give thousands of hugs and candy to Hale.

"Come on guys, let's go." I turn away and I feel a sharp pain in my scalp as someone is pulling my hair. "AHHH Damnit!! Let me goo!" I scream.

"Hey Brittney. Leave my best friend alone." Brittney lets go and stomps off with her followers. I look up and see someone walking towards us and by the way Mark is smiling, he knows him.

"Derek, you're a fricking lifesaver." Mark gives Derek a bro hug.

"Evelyn, i'd like you to meet Derek. He's the one who talked some sense into me and also my super good best friend." I smile and shake Derek's hand.

"Nice to meet you."

"Holy crap. You're gorgeous." I shyly hide behind Mark.

"Evelyn, Derek is good, I promise you."

"Derek this is Hale and May my two best friends." They shake each others hands.

"Would you guys like to come to our home football game tonight?" Derek asks. I look at my friends which they nod their heads.

"We would love to. How much is it to get in?" I ask.

"2.00 for students and 5.00 for adults and it starts at 7pm." Mark tells me. I smile and give him a hug.

"Nice meeting you Derek and thank you." To Mark I tell him, "See you tonight Tiger." I give him a kiss on the cheek and get in the truck with my friends. I see him starstruck and smiling like a crazy person.

"Ohh girl, Mark has the hots for you." May tells me.

"Yes he does." I smile, "He didn't run away when he saw me crying, instead he was there when I needed him the most. If that doesn't make him a keeper, I don't know what does." We head to my house and head in to hear a girl laugh. I smile, my brother must've brought his girlfriend home to meet the parents.

"Hi mom and dad." I say as I give them hugs and kisses on the cheeks.

"Hi sweetheart, how was school?" Mom asks me. I look at my two friends and they nod their heads.

"Evelyn, this is Elizabeth Barnhart, my girlfriend."