Chapter 10

Evelyn's P.O.V

"I'm sorry, did you say Barnhart?" I ask my brother.

"Yeah that's her last name." I dart up the stairs to my room and flop down on my pillow. I hear my friends run up the stairs behind me and shut the door. 

"Hey girl, what happened?" May asks me.

"My brother is dating the sister of the girl who's trying to ruin my life!!" I scream. I sigh that I never gave Mark my phone number but i'll see him at the game tonight. I look at the clock and it says 6:15pm. "Guys it's time to get ready for the game." I tell them, dancing around my room.

"Remember what happened last time with crowds?" Hale reminds me. I stop dancing and flop back onto my bed.

"Hale come on. What can possibly go wrong? I say. May and Hale look at each other. 

"Ok Evelyn." They both say. I grab my phone, wallet and meet May and Hale downstairs.

"Evelyn dear. What on earth made you run away like that?" My mom asks. I look over at Elizabeth who's smiling like she's planning something. 

"She's related to the people who are trying to ruin my life!" I rush out the door and hop into the front seat. "We'll maybe I screwed that up." 

"You think?" Hale tells me. I sigh and we pull into the parking lot. The line is long but not too long.

"Crap did Mark say Derek was also on the football team?" I ask.

"I can't remember exactly. Sorry girl." May replies. I lay my head on May's shoulders to get a little bit of sleep.

"Evelyn, we're here." Hale whispers. I open my eyes and see that we're next.

"Sorry guys, I didn't realize I feel asleep for that long." May laughs. 

"How many?" The lady behind the counter asks.

"Two adults and one student." Hale tells the lady. 

"8.00 please." We each pitch in a few dollars for the total and the lady gives us our tickets.

"Enjoy the game." We walk through the gates and soon realize how stupid this idea was. Oh well, i'm here to support Mark. We find a spot and May volunteers to go get the drinks.

"Are you sure?" Hale asks. She nods. "A pepsi please."

"A water please." I get into my wallet for the money but May shakes her head. 

"I got it. I'll be right back ok." She walks down the stairs and I look out onto the field to see our team warming up.

"Hale, what were you telling me about Mark dating your sister?" I ask him.

"He was the normal jock who didn't have a care in the world, but, Evelyn my dear, i think you stole his heart without him even knowing. I'll still be that overly protective friend, but if he makes you happy, i'll back you up. He just better know, he does anything to hurt you, it'll be my mission to destroy his chance at having kids." I bust up laughing. 

"Hale, you crack me up." I smile. I see May coming up the stairs somewhat out of breath. We take the drinks out of her hands. 

"May what happened?" I ask her after she takes a seat next to me.

"Some guys were being creepy as heck. Whistling lowly, you name it." I wrap my arm around her. 

"It's ok girl. High school guys, what do you expect." Hale clears his throat, "Sorry Hale not all guys." I give him a pat on the shoulder.

"How many times do I have to tell you not to be anywhere near Mark." Brittney sneers at me. I look up and see her in her cheerleading outfit

"How many times do I have to tell you to leave me the hell alone. I already know your sister is planning something that will probably destroy my home life too. What the hell do you want from me?" I sneer back.

"Ladies ladies please, you're both beautiful." Derek says, making Brittney stomp away.

"Hi Derek. I thought you were on the team?" I ask. He shakes his head.

"That's Marks thing." He sits next to May and I smile. Oh I forgot.

"Hey Hale, why were you nervous when you were taking me to school this morning?" He starts blushing.

"I'm worried about you. It was the same when you asked me if I was ok when we're out getting ice cream." I spit out my water.

"You're worried about me? Hale, you don't need to stress yourself out over me." I give him a hug and he hugs me back.

"I meant what I said earlier about me being the overly protective best friend." I smile.

"We have the visiting team Riverside High Vikings!" The announcer says, making the visiting team cheer. "And we have your very own Kennedy High Lions led by Mark Jensen!" The stands shake with all the vibrations from people stomping their feet. I cheer and we stand for the kickoff. I feel a tap on my shoulder and I look to see Derek.

"What's up?" I ask him.

"Do you have a phone? I may need to text you about something." I nod and quickly give him my number. My phone vibrates in my pocket.

Derek: Hey it's Derek.

Me: Got it saved.

I put my phone away and look back to the game. It's towards the end of the second quarter with us creaming the vikings 20-0. It's the start of halftime and I see the teams going off towards the locker rooms and see Mark bringing up the rear. I smile.

"I would like to announce the Vikings Cheer team." The squad only has like ten people and they do their cheer. 

"Guys i'll be right back ok?" I get up and walk down the bleachers to use the restroom when I hear whispering.

"She's not backing down."

"Oh don't worry Ashley, what happens during the cheer during half time will surely ruin her for life." Brittney whispers. I quickly speed walk back to the gang.

"Everything ok, Evelyn?" Hale asks me. I shake my head.

"I just heard Brittney and Ashley are up to something. Guys i'm scared. I can't compete with the cheerleaders who basically have the whole school backing them up." I look down when I feel an arm wrap around me.

"Hey Evelyn, you may think you are no match for them, but the truth is Mark cares a hell of a lot more for you than he does for the other girls." Hale tells me. I give him a sideways hug. 

"So what about when they do something during their cheer?" I ask. Hale smiles. 

"Don't go up. Here's my jacket. Hide yourself in it. We'll cover you Evelyn." Hale gives me his jacket and I hide my face in it. 

"Now the Lion cheerleaders who have a special request. Can Evelyn Smith please make her way to the field." I start shaking and I feel someone grab me.

"Hey get your hands off her." I hear Hale and Derek and I smile. I love my best friends.

"Alright loser, you don't want me to embarrass you do you." Brittney whispers in my ear.

'This can't be happening'