Chapter 20

"Lately, after the balloons on your locker, I've heard some interesting rumors about you. I've seem you around school and you seem like the nicest girl, not one to cause trouble." She shows me a picture of Brittney and Ashley putting the stuff on my locker, with Principal Barnhart helping.

"That explains why he was angry that Mark and I skipped class to remove the balloons from my locker. He wants to see me humiliated in front of the whole student body, so that I would break up with Mark. Oh my gosh. This can't be happening." I lay my head in my hands, trying to hold it together. Annabelle puts a hand on my shoulder.

"You don't deserve this crap that you're getting. There's more." I nod and she continues. "After that, I was curious on what was happening and they met Elizabeth outside the school." She pulls up the recording.

"How's it going with Luke?" Brittney asks.

"Brilliantly. He is one handsome fella though. If only he wasn't her brother, I can work miracles to get you Mark." Elizabeth says.

"Then do everything you can to get me Mark." Brittney sneers and Annabelle stops the recording.

"That explains everything." I say.

"Then the football incident. Brittney and Ashley were talking to their cheer coaches and glances up at you with death stares." She shows me the picture and got me in it with them glaring at me. I was laying my head on Hale's shoulder. 

"She does all of this because her father practically runs the place." I whisper, tears threatening to escape my eyes. "After the lunch incident, by the way, you didn't get a picture of me, right?"

"No of course not. I got one of her walking into your shoulder. Her father was glaring at your head from behind the lunch counter." 

"I was in the bathroom changing when Brittney and Ashley came in. I pulled out my phone quietly and recorded their conversation." I grab my phone to pull up the recording.

"That was wonderful, Brittney." Ashley says.

"Yes it was." Brittney's phone starts ringing and she picks up. "What?" "Elizabeth, you're brilliant. That is sure to destroy her since she loves her brother to death." I shut off the recording and see that school is over. I look at Annabelle and she has her mouth open with a death glare in her eyes.

"She did not do that."

"Sadly she did. Come on, Marks taking me to see my brother. Wanna come?" I can see the uncertainty in her eyes. "Relax, we're all cool." She nods and we get up.

"Thank you Mrs. Peacock." I say to her as we leave.

"Bye dear. See you tomorrow." We walk out the door as Mark makes his way towards us. He wraps his arms around me to hug me and I return it.

"Mark, this is Annabelle, she's helping me with Brittney. Annabelle, this is Mark." I introduce them to each other. "Mark can you take us to the hospital?" He nods and we walk down the hall after we get our stuff for homework tonight. I have my hand in Marks and Annabelle is next to me as we walk towards his car. Mark opens the passenger side door as I slide forward the seat for Annabelle to get in. Once she's settled, I slide the seat back into place and slide in with Mark closing the door. "Annabelle, you have enough leg room?" 

"Yeah, I do. Thank you." She says as she looks around the car. "Sweet ride."

"Thanks." Mark says as he gets into the driver seat and starts the car. I pull out my phone and text May.

Me: How's Luke?

May: He made it through surgery, that was the most we were able to get out of the doctor.

Me: Let me guess, you played the sibling card with Hale, didn't you?

May: Not exactly, but you do get the idea. 

Me: Oh May, what am I going to do without you, ha ha.

May: Oh shut it. Speaking of, how far out are you guys.

Me: We're pulling up now. 

I send off the text and after we get out of the car, we make our way into the hospital. We go up to the front desk with a lady typing on a computer.

"Um excuse me?" I ask her. She looks up at me with a smile.

"Hi dear, what can I help you with."

"I'm looking for Luke Hamilton. He's my brother." I tell her, trying not to cry. She types away in the computer.

"Ah yes here he is. He was brought in early this morning. He's on floor 3." She replies back with a smile.

"Thank you so much." I tell her and I speed walked to the elevator with Mark and Annabelle in tow. We get in and I hit the 3rd floor button. The door dings and I walk out, looking for May and Hale. Sure enough, they saw us and signal us over. I launch myself onto May, crying.

"Shush, Evelyn. It's ok. He made it through surgery. The doctor told me he's a fighter." May tells me while rubbing circles on my back. 

"What if all this is my fault. If I stayed away from Mark, my brother would not be in this mess." I sniffle. Another set of arms wrap around me and pull me towards a body. I look up and it's Mark.

"There's no other way. I love you too much to let you go now." I lay my head on his chest.