Chapter 1

"Hey, Evelyn!" I smile. I see my two best friends, May and Hale walk up to me and give me hugs.

"Hi guys." We sit down on the picnic table underneath a tree at Kennedy High School a week before school starts for me. May and Hale have been my best friends since freshman year and we just clicked, but they graduated last year and heading to college.

"Ready for senior year?" Hale asks me. His short black hair has gel in it and he's wearing a grey t-shirt with denim cargo shorts and his sunglasses. May has black hair that is pulled into a side braid and a cute sunhat, a white t-shirt with a blue skirt accented with a brown belt, and brown flats. Me, a blue shirt with white shorts paired with a beige belt, and cute little sandals, and my necklace May gave me Christmas my freshman year.

"Eh not really. I'm nervous. My shyness might come off as rude which I'm not." I say, laying my head on my forearms while looking at my two best friends. We talk about anything really and it felt good to hang out with them before school starts next week.

"You'll be fine. We're just a text or a call away if you need to talk. We'll be there for you." May tells me. We get up and hug each other before we go our separate ways.

"Hey Evelyn, want a ride home?" Hale asks me. I walk towards him and hop into the front seat of his truck. He starts the truck and we drive to my house.

"Thank you for the ride, Hale." He nods and we pull up in front of my house. I unbuckle and reach over to give him a hug before hopping out and walking up to the front door, turning around to wave at Hale who returns the wave. I unlock the door and walk inside, shutting the door behind me.

"Evelyn dear. Is that you?" I put my purse down in the cubby and walk towards the kitchen. Mom has flour on her face, shirt, and somehow, in her hair. I smile as I take a seat on the breakfast bar.

"Hi, mom. What are you making?" I ask her.

"Chocolate Chip Cookies, but somethings wrong." I walk over to grab an apron before going to see what I can do to fix the cookie dough.

"Mom, you forgot the egg." I start laughing and she joins in.

"How are my two favorite ladies doing?" Dad walks in and we try not to laugh but it's no use. "What's so funny?"

"Mom forgot to put the egg into the cookie dough." I grab an egg from the fridge and crack it into the bowl before mixing it and dropping them onto the cookie sheets and putting them into the oven. Mom walks over to dad and gives him a kiss then a hug. Mom has short brown hair, kinda like mine, hazel eyes, and she just looks happy. Dad is roughly about 6'0 ft, black hair, and blue eyes, you can see the love in them for my mom. I take the apron off and give dad a hug before heading upstairs to read.

"Hey, Evelyn." My brother, Luke says. He has dirty blonde hair, dimples, and blue eyes as blue as the ocean, causing all the girls to fall for him.

"Hi, Luke." I return, then remember something I can ask him. "Luke, can I ask you something?" He stops and faces me.

"What's wrong?" He asks, concerned. He was always protective of me and looks out for me.

"Nothing's wrong. How did you get through your last year of high school."

"I hung out with friends, took advantage of having classmates who were willing to help me understand, and something else." He walks towards me and engulfs me in a bear hug, "Is my little sister having cold feet her senior year?" He laughs and ruffles my hair.

"Hey seriously?" He walks outside and I run after him, jumping on his back and ruffling his hair. "Ah! How do you like that?" My brother and I are really close and we get along super well. He lets me down on the glider and walks back inside, laughing. I smile and lay down on the glider.

No ones gonna like me. They're gonna think I'm crazy.

"Damnit. I need to work on my mental toughness." I tell myself as I get up and walk upstairs.

"Luke, Evelyn, dinner's ready!" Mom yells. I roll off my bed, put my bookmark in my book, and meet up with Luke as we walk down to the dinner table. We sit in our normal places and while we eat, we talk as a family. I finish the rest of my summer with my friends by either going to the movies or just hanging out, and my family.