Chapter 8

Evelyn's P.O.V

Why would Mark give up his lunch to be with me? I quickly blow my nose and throw away the tissues. My stomach grumbles and I sigh, knowing my lunch kinda got ruined.

"Eve?" I smile as Mark comes back with something in his hands.

"Yeah?" He walks up to me and lays the foiled wrapped thing on the table.

"Don't worry it's nothing bad I promise." He chuckles and I unwrap it to find the grilled cheese from home ec still warm.

"Mark you didn't have to."

"You spent half of your lunch crying and hiding away in the library, plus i'm pretty sure I can hear your stomach growling from outside." I giggle and take a bite.

"How did you find out what happened?" I ask him after I finish chewing and I take another bite.

"I was sitting down with my best friend and the rest of the guys from the team when I hear that you ran off crying after you saw your locker. My best friend, Derek, told me to go find you and bring you lunch." I stop chewing and look at him funny.

"Mark, i'm not someone who needs to be babied." The tears start again and I set down the sandwich. I feel arms wrap around me and pull me to a very nice chest.

"I'm not babying you, Eve. I'm someone who you can talk to and will protect you from everything going on." He tells me. I let go and finish my sandwich, throw away the wrapper, then go back to get the book cart. I put the books back on the shelves and try to push out what just happened. If he was just a normal player, he wouldn't care what happened to me. Instead, he came after me and brought me lunch. I put the book down and walk around the corner and see Mark staring off into space.

"Hey Mark? Want to help me clean off my locker?" I ask him and he jumps. I laugh and smile, "Sorry didn't mean to scare you."

"Sure. I'll help." I grab my keys and as we walk out, lock the door before heading to my locker to get everything off of it when I see the principal looking at it.

"Oh crap. Mark what do we do?" I turn to take off back to the library, but Mark grabs my arm.

"Remember how I told you, nothing will happen to you. I will keep that promise." I smile and we walk towards my locker.

"What are you two doing out of class?" The principal asks. I look up at Mark for help.

"We came by to clean off Evelyn's locker." Mark says and the principal just doesn't buy it.

"To my office NOW!!!" The principal says and we follow him to the office. Mark has a frown on his face and wraps his arm around my shoulder. We sit down in the chairs opposite the principals desk. I look at the name plate on his desk,

Principal Barnhart

"Sir, i'm not sure why we're in here. My locker was vandalized and I just want to remove it." I tell him. Crap if mom finds out I was in the principals office, she'll kill me!

"That stuff on your locker? That's your handwriting Evelyn. You're doing it for attention." My heart shatters.

"I don't want attention! I'm perfectly fine how I am." I jump up from the chair and storm out of the office. He can go fly a kite for all I care. I tear the balloons off and let them fly away, then tear the notes off and stuff them back in my locker. I feel like i'll need them to prove something.

"Evelyn!" Mark runs up to me and gives me a hug.

"Mark, i'm sorry." He lets go and gently pushes my chin up to look straight into my eyes.

"You're not the one who should be sorry. It's whoever is doing this to you." We finish tearing everything off the locker and I realize Mark just skipped class.

"You just skipped class." He smiles at me.

"I know. My best friend, Derek, will get the assignments for me." Mark replies. I unlock the door to the library and walk to the desk and lay my head on it.

"This has been the crappiest day ever." I sigh and my phone beeps.

May: Hey girl. How's it going?

Me: Crappy.

May: Aw girl. Hale and I will get you from school.

Me: Ok but I need to talk to you guys about something so we can't leave right away.

The door opens and Mark ducks behind the desk.

Me: Someone came in. I'll talk later.

"Hi can I help you?" I ask the person who came in.

"Yes you can actually." The person walks towards me, "Want to hang out tomarrow?"

"Um sorry, i'm busy." Something about this guy is rubbing me the wrong way. The guy continue to walk towards me and I walk backwards, before tripping over Mark.

"Oww damnit." Mark curses and looks up at the person. Mark slowly gets up and puts me behind him.

"Mark, what's going on?" I ask, scared. I can see the two having a staredown.

"Evelyn, meet Josh. My ex best friend." Mark tells me, still keeping eye contact with Josh.