Chapter 11

Evelyn's P.O.V

Brittney grabs me by the arm and yanks me off the bleacher. I reach for Hale, but i'm already almost to the ground. 

"Brittney why would you humiliate me in front of the whole school?"

"You little dweeb. Need I to remind you that I want my man back and since he's fallen so hard for you, I decided to use you to get him to come to me and be mine again. We reach the field and I look up to find my small group of friends. Hale and Derek look like they want to kill someone and May looks like she's about to cry. Ashley grabs the hood of Hale's jacket and pulls me towards the fifty yard line. 

'Don't freak. Mark will be out here soon to save me from this'

"Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to proudly introduce you to Evelyn Smith." Brittney says into the microphone with a smirk. 

"Please Brittney stop I beg you." 

"Evelyn here thinks she has a shot with quarterback Mark Jensen. He is so out of her league she can't even find him with a telescope. She's too stuck up and cries just to get attention." She pauses to hear laughs. I look at the scoreboard to see three minutes till the end of halftime. I see the two teams come out onto the field and the Vikings team are standing, listening. I start to tear up and try to hold it in, not giving them the satisfaction, but it was too late. "Aww is little Evelyn trying to get attention."

Mark's P.O.V

We leave the locker room to head back to the field and hear someone speaking into a microphone. 

"She thinks she's better than everyone else and cries just to get attention." The crowd laughs and I try to hold it together. We walk onto the field and I see a figure that looks almost exactly like Evelyn hold her head down. "Aww is little Evelyn crying to get attention?" I lost it. 

"Hey Brittney." I call out to her and she looks at me before walking up to me. 

"Hey baby." She purrs and I remove her hands from me and I see Evelyn looking at me with happiness in her eyes.

"Evelyn darling, it's me." I give her a hug and see Hale and May walk down to get her.

"Thank god you got here when you did Mark." Hale tells me. I have a lot of respect for Hale now. 

"Same here." I say. May comes up to me and hugs me.

"Thank you Mark." She tells me as her and Hale start to walk Evelyn back up the bleachers. 

Evelyn's P.O.V

I hide my face in Hale's side as we walk back up to Derek.

"Hey darling, look at me." Hale asks me once we sit down. "They don't know the real you. They don't know that you're shy, you hate crying, and they're just jealous Mark has his eyes set on you." 

"Hale, Brittney completely ruined me. Might as well go to school with a paper bag over my head." I lean into Hale's shoulder and May leans her head on mine.

"Girl, we're here for you." May tells me.

"I love you guys." I shut my eyes for a bit. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I open my eyes and see five minutes left in the fourth quarter and the score is 35-5. I see Brittney and Ashley congregating probably to figure out what to do with me. 

"Evelyn, watch!" May tells me. I look out onto the field and see Mark running into the endzone for a touchdown that ends the game. 

"Wooooo!" I cheer. I hop off the bleachers and run onto the field. Mark sees me and pushes everyone out of the way to get to me from inside the circle his teammates made.

"Congratulations Mark." I smile at him. "I'm sorry about earlier with the whole halftime incident." He puts his finger under my chin and gently lifts it up.

"You aren't the one to blame." He picks me up and swings me around in circles. "Eve, being away from you really hurts me." He puts me down and we look into each others eyes. His helmet falls to the ground, his hair clings to his forehead by sweat. I reach up and touch noses before kissing him. My arms tighten around his neck and he pulls me closer to him, well as close as we can get with him wearing his football gear. I pull back and look at him shocked.

"You just kissed me in front of the school." I tell him quietly and he has the biggest smile on his face. 

"Now, everyone knows you're mine and i'm yours." 

"I guess Hale was right. I did steal your heart." I smile and give him a peck on the lips. 

"Ok loverboy, locker room now." Coach tells him.

"Don't leave without me. We're gonna go celebrate. You me, May, Hale, and Derek." He kisses me on the head before grabbing his helmet off the grass and walking towards the gate.

"Evelyn!" May runs up to me with a big fat smile on her face. "You just kissed Mark Jensen in front of the school." I smile. "Damn girl, I haven't seen you smile that big before. He must be some lucky guy." 

"Oh you don't know how lucky he is."