Chapter 19

"Evelyn, are you ok?" Mark and Derek help me up off the ground.

"Nothing to see here people." Derek says to the cafeteria and everyone look away with the occasional glance my way. 

'Lovely, i'm gonna be the star. Yay'

"I've been better. Thank heavens I happen to have a change of clothes in my locker." I stand up and almost fall over. I look down to see my lunch all over the front of me. "Great." Someone picks me up bridal style and I squeak before seeing that it's Mark.

"Come on princess." We head towards my locker and I point it out, giving Mark the locker combination and pulling out a bag. "This it?" 

"Yep that's it." He carries me to the door of the bathroom and sets me down, not letting go until i'm steady on my feet. I look at his shirt. "Oh man, there's mac and cheese all over your shirt." I go to run into the bathroom to grab a paper towel to hopefully keep his shirt from staining, but he grabs my arm. 

"It's fine. I also happen to have a change of clothes in my locker." He gives me a kiss before walking towards his locker. I watch a bit before disappearing into the bathroom to change.

"Nice show Brittney." Aw crap, it's Brittney and Ashley. I can never forget that voice anywhere. I hold my breath and slowly hide behind a changing wall that is in one of the stalls. I quietly move my stuff to hide it and pull out my phone to record.

"But it didn't go as plan since Prince Charming came to her rescue. I thought Elizabeth had a plan." I hear the tingle of a phone go off and Brittney answers. "What?" "Perfect Elizabeth, brilliant, that would definitely destroy her since she loves her brother so much." Brittney hangs up and I stand shocked, careful to not ruin the recording and give myself away. "Come on, let's go." Brittney and Ashley leave, I pause the recording, and once I finish getting changed, I start crying.

"Hello?" May answers.

"Oh May." I start crying.

"Oh Evelyn darling, what's wrong? It's not Mark is it?"

"N-no." I sniffle. "Elizabeth went after my brother." 

"That little. Ok, I'll get Hale and we'll go to the hospital. Get there as soon as you can, ok?"

"I will. I have something I have to do first. Thanks May."

"Anytime girl." I hang up and someone barges into the bathroom.

"Evelyn?" Mark says. I grab my stuff and open the stall door. He looks at me with wide eyes. "Princess, what happened?" He wraps me in a hug and I start crying into his shirt.

"Elizabeth tried to have my brother killed." He tightens his hold on me and starts rubbing my back.

"She just doesn't know when to stop. Come on, let's get you cleaned up." I nod and he gets a couple paper towels from the dispenser, gets them wet, and then wipes down my face to remove the tear streaks.

"I don't know what I'd be without you. Thank you." I whisper and he kisses me. 

"All better." I smile and walk out of the bathroom to make sure the coast is clear and he comes out. 

"Aw crap. It's already six period is it?" I say. I look down at my watch and it's two minutes before class starts.

"Go to class. I'll be fine." He looks a bit reluctant and I reach up to kiss him. "If I need anything, I'll next, ok?"

"Ok. Just be careful." He says.

"I promise, Tiger." I say, smiling and we walk to our lockers to get our things before I walk to the library and he goes to class. " See you soon." 

"Same." He walks just outside the door, out of sight from the window and grabs my hands. "I'm just a text away." I hug him and he returns it before letting go and walking into class. I was careful to avoid the teachers sight and I sigh and walk to the library. I see Mrs. Peacock working on the new books in the back room.

"Mrs. Peacock, your back! How was your trip?" I ask her, putting my backpack under the desk. 

"It was good. How was it while I was gone?" 

"It went well." I wasn't going to mention anything about Josh.

"That's good." I get up to grab the books out of the return bin and check them into the computer. Once that's done, I put them onto the cart to be taken out to be put back on the shelves. I lost track of time when someone taps me on the shoulder. I turn around and see the girl from lunch earlier.

"Evelyn, right?" She asks quietly. I nod in reply. 

"Yep, but I never did get your name."

"Oh, my bad, it's Annabelle." She says and I reach out my hand to shake hers. She returns the gesture. 

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Annabelle." I look down at the cart to see that I have three books left to put away. "Could I put the rest of the books away first before you show me what you were talking about at lunch?" She nods and goes to sit down at a table. I put the rest of the books away and roll the cart back behind the counter. I walk past her and point to the desk. "It'll be fine. It'll be easier since no one has a chance to sneak behind us." She nods and follows me. I put the cart back up next to the wall and point to a chair she can sit in while I sit in the one next to the computer. I turn it so i'm facing her and she pulls out her phone.