Chapter 16

Present day

I open my eyes and try to relax my heartbeat. 

"I thought I buried that dream." I sigh and reach over to check the time on my phone.

10:30am.

Oh fuck! Wait, I forgot, I got myself suspended.

"Yo Evelyn." I smile and walk over to the door to open it. Luke leans against the door and almost topples over before righting himself. 

"Hi Luke." I hold it open and he walks in and I shut it behind him. "What do you need?"

"Well for starters, why didn't you tell me you got suspended?" I move over to my bed, leaning against the headrest.

"I didn't want you to get mad at me. Plus it wasn't my fault, well not all of it." 

"Evelyn, I have never gotten mad at you, nor will I ever will get mad at you. Principal Barnhart overreacted." He wraps me in his arms, laying my head on his chest. "Mark and I were talking. He cares for you, I can see it. Just be safe ok?" 

"Luke, i'll be fine. I got you, Mark, Hale, and May, what more can I ask for?" I smile then suddenly end up in a tickle war with Luke. I'm laughing and for once, it felt good to laugh out loud. "Ahh stop!" I say, laughing.

"What do you say?" He smirks.

"Luke, you are the best brother anyone can have." He stops and I bend over, trying to catch my breath. 

"Come on, let's go downstairs and i'll make you something." He grabs my hand and pulls me downstairs and I sit down on the barstool, watching him make little parfaits out of graham crackers, marshmallows, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and chocolate syrup. He puts one in front of me and moves around to the other stool next to me. I grab two spoons from the drawer and pass one to Luke.

"I'm sorry about Elizabeth and everything." Luke says after a few minutes of silence. "I broke it off with her last night." My heart quenches.

"Luke, i'm sorry. It's just that her sister and her father hates me and i'm just trying to figure out what to do." I sigh when the doorbell rings.

"It's May." I smile.

"Come on in." I return and hear the door open and shut. I hop off the barstool and hug my  best friend.

"Got any plans today?" May asks me. 

"Nope. As long as i'm not stuck in this fricking house, i'm cool with it. That is if Luke is ok with it." I look at him who looks like he's deep in thought. I smile at an evil idea I get and look at May with that look.

"Girl you have a death wish." She giggles and I walk up behind Luke silently before poking him in the sides with my fingers.

"Ahh shit!" Luke says, falling off the barstool onto his butt. I bust up laughing and he looks up at me with an evil smirk.

"Oh you really think thats funny don't you?" I stop laughing and start running outside with Luke hot on my tail.

"AH!" I faceplant into the grass and Luke lands on me.

"My dear little sister, how much did I tell you not to scare me and what the consequences were?" I start tickling him and pretty soon we're in a full out tickle fight.

"Evelyn!" I hop up and run into the living room and May is looking at the door.

"What is it?" I walk up behind her and wrap my arm around her.

"It's Brittney." Oh fuck out of all days why today.  I grab my phone off the table to text Hale.

Me: Brittney's here. 

Hale: Alright. I'll leave now

Me: Come in through the back. She's at the front door.

Hale: I will.

"Hale is on his way." I whisper to May who nods in reply. 

"Hello I can hear you guys." Brittney shouts through the door. I look at May.

"I need to go tell Luke. I'll be right back." I run outside and see Luke kissing Elizabeth. I run and jump on her. "Ahhh!" 

"What the fuck Evelyn?" Luke shouts at me. Elizabeth just starts laughing at me.

"Evelyn, you're so naive." She shoves me off her, sending me into the rose bushes. I crawl out, thorns in every part of my body. She walks towards me.

"Get away from her!" I look towards the sound and smile. Mark, Hale and Luke are standing by the backgate with an angry look on their faces. 

"Luke baby why? I already know you hate her." 

"I never said that. She's my sister. You mess with her, you mess with all of us." Luke walks towards Elizabeth. "We're over. Get out of my house before I call the cops." She walks through the gate in the backyard and Brittney follows her. May comes running out of the house and sees me lying by the bushes and sprints towards me, along with the guys in tow.

"Guys i'm fine. I promise." I end up in Marks lap with his arms around me and kisses me on the head. He picks me up and carries me bridal style into the house and upstairs to lay me down on the bed, and the moment my head hits the pillow I was out. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like, comment, share!

-SunSet