Chapter Twenty-Five

[4 months later]

"I want to tell you all how proud I am to have been given the privilege to be your teacher and I hope you all have a great summer," our teacher smiled brightly. 

As if on cue, the school bell rang. Everyone got up from their seats excitedly as they left the room with their friends. Kat and Amanda ditched the last day of school. They both left a week early with Kat going to Thailand with her parents, while Amanda went to Spain with her parents. 

As for me, I've been working nonstop at Hana's cafe, doing extra shifts whenever I had time. Which I had a lot of these days. For the past couple of months, Mark has been calling and sending me messages every week, which I never answered or read. 

The only time I would hear about them would be whenever Kat and Amanda talked about their recent appearances on tv shows. The last time I've heard about them was when Kat showed me their new hairstyles. It was apparently due to their recent comeback. 

I decided to break off contact with Mark and the rest of the boys after the last night I saw Jinyoung. I didn't want him to remember what happened so I decided to back off. 

-------

At work, I was greeted by Hana with a worried look in her eyes. 

"Jenny!" she practically ran towards me. "Are you okay?" She held both of my arms and looked at every corner of my face in search of something.

"I'm fine, why wouldn't I be?" 

"You haven't heard? It's all over the news. I tried calling you-" She released my arms.

"Heard what?"

"The apartment building you're living in," she continued, "It burned down." My eyes widened. I couldn't form words. Is this really happening to me? 

Hana panicked as I began to cry while other customers gave me odd looks. 

"Is there anyone you can stay with? Any family or friends?" She wrapped an arm around my shoulders, in hopes of bringing me any comfort. I shook my head no. 

Hana tried to convince me to stay at her place, but I couldn't accept it. I already owe her so much, I couldn't possibly ask for more. Also, she recently just got married, I don't want to disturb her and her husband. I was able to convince her that I actually had a relative not too far. I didn't completely lie. 

-------

When I reached the remaining of what was my old apartment, I landed with my knees on the floor. A couple of my neighbors were standing near the entrance. They carried suitcases and bags with them as they looked at what was left of the old building. 

"Where will I go?" I said exasperated. 

All I had left was my bag for school and a gym bag I kept at Hana's cafe which had a couple of clothes inside, extra clothes i kept in case things got messy at work.

I found myself sitting on a nearby bench, staring at the floor for what seemed like hours. I held my head in my hands with my elbows on top of my knees, defeated. 

"Jenny!" 

I lifted my head up towards the person who called my name. The moment my eyes met his, he didn't wait another second before pulling me up and wrapping his arms around me. 

"What are you-"

Mark didn't say anything as he buried his chin on my neck and continued to hug me tightly. 

"I thought you were supposed to be in Japan? What are you doing here?" My voice came out weak. I was emotionally and physically exhausted. 

"I came here as soon as I heard. Are you alright? Are you hurt anywhere?" Mark pulled away from me and examined me from head to toe. He hugs me again and I let him. 

-------

"I can't live with you again. Not after what happened with-" I stopped myself. I almost told Mark about that night between me and Jinyoung. 

"What? What is it?" Mark was now at the edge of his seat, waiting for me to continue. 

"Nothing." 

Mark was about to say something, but decided not to. Instead he took another sip of his drink. 

"It's only for the time being. Until you find another place to stay."

"I feel like I've heard of that before," I laughed, but not because it was funny.

"It'll be as if I'm not even there. I won't bother you, I promise."

"But what about the others? They probably hate me by the way I've been ignoring them... especially you," I looked down and feel my stomach turn. I couldn't look at Mark. I was too embarrassed. 

"They're not gonna be back for another week," Mark explained,  "And they don't hate you. I don't hate you. In fact, my feelings toward you is the opposite of that.." 

I looked up to meet with his eyes and he immediately averted his gaze. 

"But that's for another day.." he turned his face away to hide his red face. 

"But-" Mark stopped me before I could continue listing more reasons why this was a bad idea. 

"Jenny," he began, "Stop pushing me away." His voice sent chills across my body. I slumped in my seat, and surrendered. 

-------

Mark opened the door to the dorm and stepped aside to let me in. He led me into my old room, setting my bag next to the bed. Everything was just the way I had left it. The bed sheets were still baby pink and the giant Ryan plushie was still sitting on the center of the bed. 

"The guys were still hoping you'd come back, so we decided to leave everything the way it was.." Mark rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed. "Good thing we did."

"Thanks," I smiled at him.

"For what?" 

"For always being there." 

Mark opened his mouth to say something else, but changed his mind. He ruffled my hair and I slapped his hand away. He laughed before leaving me to go to his own room. Before leaving me in my own thoughts. Which were filled of him. 

~

Happy birthday to my overwatch lovin dimsum, Mark Tuan <3 Thank you for existing <3