Twenty six

Beth:

The next morning was awfully silent.

Pattie was out of the house early for her usual jog, which only left me and Justin to the house ourselves. Not to mention, my mind was flooded with every possible thought I could come up with, simply basing it on Justin's words last night.

I didn't know if I should be mad at him for playing with my best friend's heart, or mad at him for not telling me earlier, or better yet, get mad at my best friend for not telling me this matter. I brought my palms to my face and gave it a hard rub.

Two words: Trust issues.

"Are you mad at me?" Justin asked from the other side of the table in a small voice. Of course he would use the infamous five words that most people detest, of course. But I really couldn't elucidate my emotions. . . they were just jumbled up into a ball too big to be unravelled. I wasn't going to be petty and biased towards myself.

I sighed to myself after a while. "I don't know," I paused to sigh again. "But I want to know the whole story. . . Scooter's only ever told me the summarized version of it."

"Okay," he sighed, pursing his lips in together for a brief moment. "Fucking Scooter. So you probably already know by now, that he's been trying to find girls to ground me ever since I began playing many girls. . . so somehow through some reason, he met Lana. And at that time, she was looking to be a VS model on a long term, but her contract was ending.

"So, Scooter being the fuck ass bitch he was, he decided to make a deal with her, like he did with you. And blah blah blah, skipping to the point, Lana fell in love with me and I didn't have the intention of being in a relationship so I merely told her the truth and after that, she wouldn't stop thinking of ways to get her revenge. I swear, she's mentally unstable."

"She holds grudges," I added to his point, though refusing to agree. "Has she ever hurt you?"

"No," his jaws clicked. "But she hurt the people around me. She caused Caitlin's boat accident when she was jet skiing with her family and friends. God, I don't know why she'd do that. She's fucking evil. . . she's sadistic, so sadistic she's about to drive me insane and I don't want you to get hurt because I won't know how I'm ever going to forgive myself."

I remained silent as I rubbed my temples with my thumbs. Well, this just got to a complex level of violence, fear and paranoia. "I doubt she'll ever hurt me, Justin. I met her way before I met you and she's never seriously hurt me before, apart from the playful slaps and stuff. She's my friend."

"Your insane friend." Groaning, he ruffled his neatly combed back hair roughly into a messy pool of brown before slipping his fingers in the strands, clenching his fists, tugging them tightly. "Why won't she fucking kill me instead."

"If she killed you, I'd have nobody to be in love with for the rest of my life anymore," I lowly hissed, crossing my arms over my chest intuitively. "Besides, I remember she told me one time, about one of her break ups in the past, and damn. . . it nearly made me cry."