Thirteen

Justin:

"So, Jenny, wait," I could hear Beth's voice faintly from where I laid across the sofa; head resting on the armrest of the comfortable furniture, causing me to avert my attention to the back of her figure. "X is equivalent to this entire equation?"

"Right," Jenny firmly answered, nodding once. "It's actually easier teaching you Math as compared to teaching the one behind me, I'm so glad."

"I'm not invisible, am I, Jenny?" I paused. "You should go back to your cage," I grumbled playfully, earning back a loud gasp from Beth. Cute Beth. She probably doesn't know that this was honestly what brought Jenny and I close as a teacher and a student.

"That was incredibly rude of you, Justin," Beth scolded me in an instant, flashing me her furrowed eyebrows as I let out a laugh. Yeah, she really wasn't aware. "You should really apologize to Jenny. Like right now."

Cracking a small laugh, Jenny began shaking her head as he eyed me, "Justin, she's a keeper, you got it?"

Woah, wait. What? "Jenny, you got it all wrong—"

"Uh—" Beth paused for a brief moment. "Why would you even look at him and say that? Ugh! This is frustrating! I need a witness protection program so that Justin can never be able to get near me and cause more misunderstandings with people around us."

"Shouldn't I be the one saying that?" I lifted my eyebrows. "Excuse you, Beth Elle Livey."

"I hate when people use my full name," she abhored, spinning herself back around on the twirling chair, attempting bringing her attention back to her work. 

Don't tease her, don't flirt with her, don't do no shit with her. Scooter.

Sorry, man, I'm a rule breaker. It's going to happen eventually. I  mean, look at her! How could one even resist flirting with her, damn. I'm unstoppable.

"Jenny, in exactly how long is she able to finish studying her brain out?" I questioned curiously, slapping the magazine in my hands to a close as I brought it to my chest. "She looks like she'd rather die than carry on studying."

There was a silence.

A silence that made me feel like bursting out laughing, but I'd managed to control myself in time as Jenny responded. Though, she indirectly responded to me, instead. I watched as Jenny placed a hand on Beth's shoulder, giving it a light squeeze.

"I know," Jenny begun sympathetically, "Justin's been giving you a hard time, Beth." She ended her statement pointedly, throwing me one glance that only made me chuckle twice as hard.

"Just," Beth paused to draw a deep breath in, "just let me sit here and reflect upon all the mistakes I've done in the past, that led me up to Justin. Let me think about what I've once done that made me deserve this."