Twenty three

Beth:

"I simply told Scooter that I was doing whatever needed to be done. We've talked about this, I've reminded him countless of times that in order to straighten Justin out, a little intimacy had to be added into my actions so that's exactly what I did," I spilled to the other line, earning me a snort.

"So Scooter still doesn't actually suspect the both of you being a thing now?" Lana asked, pausing for a second, but carrying on afterwards. "Then when are the both of you gonna let him know? I mean, after all, the tour ends today and from the sound of it, you're clearly flying back to Canada with him so there's really no more point to hide it from Scooter anymore, don't you think?"

"How did you even know I'm flying back to Canada with Justin?" I asked in suspicion, raising an eyebrow as I furrowed the other intuitively. "I never told you about it."

"Do you think I'm really that stupid to not be able to read my own best friend's mind after all that's happened to you involving Justin?" She asked, the offense in her tone making me pull a face. "Besides, I'm an expert at fixing puzzle pieces together."

"Sorry?" I offered. "But yes, I am returning with him and, uh, probably staying there for a while before going back home to reunite with my parents. Apparently Justin wanted me to meet his entire family, so. . . yeah."

There was a long pause. "You guys are getting pretty serious, huh?" I couldn't decipher the tone she was using, but it wasn't weighing towards the side where she was genuinely happy for me and that confused me to no extent, and irked me slightly.

But to avoid a scene over the phone, I simply nodded. "Yeah, we are."

"Well, then I'm happy for you and I can't wait to see you soon!" By now she was back to normal, and I couldn't help but wonder if she was jealous for a moment. . . . but it couldn't be, Lana got every guy, not me. She couldn't possibly be jealous. . . now that I've finally settled down with one, and a good one at that, could she?

I let out a soft chuckle. "Bye, Lana."

Dropping my phone on my lap, I stilled in my movements and stared at nowhere in particular as my jumbled thoughts tried to fathom whatever just happen with much effort within a limited period of time, considering the ride to the airport was about twenty minutes and we were at the last ten based on where we already were on the road.

My stomach churned. There were many thoughts in my head all at once. . . all of them were nothing but doubts aimed at Lana and her motives.

But, the thoughts about going to a country I've never actually been before and meeting my own boyfriend's family was exciting and intimidating at the same time, I still couldn't quite get it into my head that it inundated the unpleasant speculating in my head about my best friend.

"Babyyy," Justin's voice hauled me away from my thoughts as my head snapped towards the direction his voice came from. His eyes lit up when my eyes met those soft brown orbs, making my heart tighten a little bit before he chuckled, prying himself off the closed door to make his way towards me. "Do you know how long I've been trying to get your attention?"