Five

Beth:

"Yes, Mom, I'll be fine. You know I'll be doing the usual―writing, reading, helping, eating and sleeping. That's it. There won't be any parties nor beers or drugs and stuff. Just the usual," I stressed, just so she could hang up in peace afterwards.

"Okay then," her soft voice muttered quietly across the line, making me crack a small smile on my face. "Remember to take extra care, okay? Your Dad and I are just a phone call away."

I chuckled quietly.

It's not like I was ten years old; clearly I was already nearly twice that age so I really don't understand why she's getting all worried, giving herself more free wrinkles. She needs to trust me for once, because I'm even going to admit that I'm one sensible child since young.

Opening my mouth to respond, I was abruptly interjected when Justin decided to pull my phone out of my firm grip to hold it close to his ear, getting himself involved in my last conversation with my very own mother before we leave this place.

"Hey, Mom! This is Justin," Justin sweetly began, eyeing me pointedly when I let out a huff (though I'm secretly grateful he did it because Mom's words were getting a tad out of hand already, frankly) before crossing my arms over my chest tightly; my brown eyes staring at him as he remained quiet, listening to what Mom had to say.

So since he wasn't looking and I wasn't going anywhere until he was done conversing with my Mom, I accidentally allowed my eyes to trace the features on his face―considering he was standing diagonally from the rising sun, meaning he looked just like a bright silhouette that seemed even more perfect that one could ever imagine. 

I squinted my eyes; partly just so he wouldn't be able to tell I was practically staring, and partly because the sun was practically ruining my eyes to the extent where I think I might turn blind if I kept my eyes wide open like this for another second.

Letting my eyes trail down from his hair that has turned a lighter shade of brown due to the sun behind, I mindlessly came to a halt when my gaze reached his eyes, through my peripheral vision watching as he nodded his, one word after another that left Mom's mouth.

And then my eyes flickered down to his lips, and that's when I had to drag them away reluctantly right after a huge gulp just so that I could control myself in case something bad happens and every thing that I'd once planned goes down the drain, with a simple little snap.

"Oh," I heard Justin voice out finally, making me lift my head so that he was now back in my sight, "of course I'll take care of Beth! After all, she's only here for me so it's fair that I did the same back for her. . ."

He paused, diverting his piercing brown orbs onto mine; that small familiar smirk tugging on his lips, threatening to show. "Oh, I'm completely aware of what to do now. I've taken note of every point, so relax, keep calm. Don't worry anymore, Mom. I'll make sure I have her call you when we arrive at our destination."

Blinking, I slanted my head slightly before watching, listening as he said goodbye to Mom before hanging up, passing me my phone back by outstretching his arm to me where my phone was clasped tightly between his fingers.