Einangrun

It's cold and miserable. I have no idea were I am. I'm soggy and hungry and not a settlement within miles from here. I hate my life. 

                   It's been a month since I ran away from Mellyn and the others. I still shudder at that horrendous event. All this time I've been helping some crackheads kill thousands of inocent people for their own twisted schemes. I was no better than the rest of them.

                   I stop at my tracks. I seem to be in the middle of a ravaged plains. I forgot my map, so I really am fucked. Okay, no food, water and lost. Everything seems to be going my way. NOT.

                  As I continue walking down the path to nowhere, I continue to contemplate the events that took place in Beret. I couldn't believe I allowed myself to be used by those lunatics. I soiled my reputation as an Engineer. I let everyone at Bestandehl down. I hate this. I hate feeling sorry and guilty about myself. 

                  But one thing still bothers me. It's true that my invention can read the Mana of others. But, nothing more. If they were to kill Sapirs for their Mana, they have to have acontainer strong enough to withstand it's density, and I'm sure I didn't do any of that. Only Bestandehlians have access to that sort of tech. Could it be that another Engineer is in cahoots with those crackheads?

                  Downpour continues to pelt on us. Clan's still pushing on despite the weather.I love this machine of mine. Probably, the only friend I have. It's getting colder here, and quiet. Too quiet. And I was right. Few blocks behind me were Warthoppers. These things are ridiculously quick in rain, which makes them deadlier.

                  I crank Clan in turbo, hoping to at least outrun this Cryptids. Rio's out of ammo and Clan doesn't have enough juice to pack a punch. The deities sure love me today. They were outrunning---outhopping me. Oh crap. I swerved just in time as one tried to pounce me. The others were hurling these sticky substances that were jamming Clan. Fuck. We're slowing down. Unless.....

                  I quickly took out the Topaz that I took, well stole on my escape from the camp. I heard this king of sotne was electrical properties to it. I was planning on using this to recharge Clan, but now is a matter of time and death. I placedthe stone on Clan's built-in cannon.  With a well-aimed shot, the blast electrocuted the Warthoppers to their demise. I was safe, for now.

                 I breathed a  loud sigh of relief. Once again, I survived the grip of Death on me. I swore I would write the wrongs that I have caused. 

                 In the distance Icould see vague, triangular shapes with smoke coming out on one of them. Looks like luck smiled upon me at last. A settlement. Hopefully, no one there has caught wind of the events and Mellyn hasn't exposed me out in the public.

                 Clan's charge ran out just in time for us to reach the settlement. The place has a sad vibe going on. Well, not really sad, sort of calm, campy and sober. Some people were approaching me. Probably and welcoming committee. Okay, table manners at the ready.

"Welcome young man, to our humble settlement. We are the Tragians. We are all pleased to make your acquaintance."

"Uhm thanks, and my name is Kraeinirr Zolabod."

"What brings a man who ride a machine to the Marswam?"

"I was uh, on the run. I'm a little troubled."

"Young man, if solace is what you wish to seek, you are welcome to stay. We will provide you with a place to rest and some food for you."

               Thanks was all I could say. They were awfully nice to a stranger riding a huge machine. The setlement was composed primarily of teepee like tents. This seems to be their houses. There was also a flat for their livestock with a watering hole nearby. A place that serves  as a kitchen and storage area was there, and the weaponry and infirmary were situated in the east. Everyone's wearing long, furry clothes that covered their entire body. Obviously as a protection to the cold. 

"I must apologize to you Kraenirr."

"For what?"

"Those Warthoppers were ours, we ordered them to eliminate you. Please understand, we only want to protect our settlement."

"I understand completely....except one detail. If you wanted me gone, why so nice to me now?"

"In exchange for shelter and food, we would like youto protect us from outsiders."

"Wha?"

"We know what your machines can do. One of our tribesmate saw everything on the Comune of Beret."

My heart skipped a beat. Shit, they saw everything! I gotta----

"But we know of your innocence. We have been spying on Beret for some time for we fear that they will enslave us if our guard is down. We first thought of you as a threat, and that was the reason of attacking you. But our shamaness sensed pureness in you heart. That is why we permitted you to enter our abode."

                Wow, they sure are well informed. We soon reached the place I was about to stay.It wasn't that much. A bed, some animal fur that serves as the flooring, Some inscriptions written on the teepee, a valouse on top and a chest for storing stuff. Pretty snazzy. I parked Clan just behind my place and placed my stuff on the chest. They told me supper's ready in 30 minutes. Guess I'll just have to sit and wait. So, all I have to do is protect these people from baddies and they offer me protection. Seems like a good deal. 

                  At least, in a way,I can do something that I couldn't have done back at Beret. I just cowered there and let Sapirs die in front of my eyes. I'm not to let that happen here.

"Uhm, mister. The shamaness also wishes to speak with you at supper."

"Ok, tell her it's an honor."