Against a Monster

“Lift your leg higher, Fujioka!” Hitomi-sensei barked. Sweat slowly trickled down my neck. I gritted my teeth and performed the set again. The music blared from the speakers once again and my body flowed with it.

            Leap with arms outstretched. Land on feet with fourth position arms. Run backwards gracefully. Twirl and then leap. Stretch leg higher. My body was on automatic with my thoughts filled with small comments on my positions.

            “Good job, Fujioka,” praised Hitomi-sensei. I grinned back at her as I was finally able to relax. “Go ahead and take twenty. Girls, come back and practice!” The other girls rushed back onto the floor, smiling and congratulating me on their way.

            I grabbed my towel and my water bottle, trudging my way out of the room and upstairs to watch them from above. As I was about to go upstairs, I heard the entrance of the studio being opened and hushed voices filled the quiet hallway.

            “O-oi, Hyuga, are you sure Masami-chan said it was here?”

            “Of course, baka! Listen to your captain!” Hyuga’s voice harshly whispered. I retraced my steps back towards the entrance and smiled.

            “You guys came!” I laughed amusedly as the entire basketball team jumped up in surprise. “You guys can come upstairs and watch. I’m on a short break now.” I motioned for them to follow me upstairs. Some of them were grumbling behind me about me giving them a heart attack. A grin found its way onto my lips.

----------------------------------

            “Wow! So this is the studio?” Koganei asked in awe. The first-years looked around before noticing the glass wall that viewed out towards the ballerinas.

            “Waaa! This is so cool!” Everyone exclaimed. I shook my hair out of its tight bun, running a hand through my pink tress. I inspected it closer and noticed that it had gotten darker since I had started at Seirin.

            “Masami-chan, why are you up here instead of down there?” Izuki pointed down towards the others.

            “Since I have the lead and many solo acts, the others have a different part. We take turns so that way our parts don’t clash.” I saw Hitomi-sensei look up at me and motioned for me to go down. I sighed, my break hasn’t even been twenty minutes.

            “Stay here, guys! I’m going down, so make sure you watch me!”

            Riko grinned and gave me a thumbs-up. I ran back downstairs and into the room.

            “We’re putting the entire act together now. It seems we have some visitors today, so girls, don’t mess up.” We all rolled our eyes at Hitomi-sensei’s way of encouraging us. I clapped my hands together to signal them to begin. Running into position, we waited for Hitomi-sensei to cue the music.

            The music came to life and so did I.

----------------------------------   

            “Practice on Monday night! We have to get ready for the performance which is next week!” Hitomi-sensei exclaimed. I grinned, excited that I was able to make my debut to Britain. I had already been recognized in America, New Zealand, Japan, Korea, China, Africa, South America, and Thailand. Britain was next and a couple of European countries. Russia was the homeland of ballet, with strong influences in Poland and Germany. It was my dream to achieve their recognition as a prima ballerina.