For the First Time

Back in the safety of my room, I quickly sent Kise a text letting him know that I was home. Not a second later, my phone blared out "Okay, I tell her bring it back like she left some, Bring it-bring it back like she left some. Uh, in the club with the lights off, what you actin' shy for?"

I swiftly hit the answer button on my home screen and brought my phone up to my ear, only to hold it away at an arm's length.

"Masamicchi! I've missed you so much! Wahh!! It's been so lonely here without you! Speaking of which, where are you?!" I could clearly hear the accusation in his alto voice. I thickly swallowed the saliva that had dried up in my throat at the question he threw at me.

"W-what do you mean, Kise? I've been busy with dance and everything else," I protested. I couldn't find it within me to lie to him, so I threw in what I knew was valid. "I mean, it's not like I purposely ignored you guys or anything, I really have been busy with my new dance studio."

"So you've been 'accidently' ignoring us?" I sighed into the receiver, letting the back of my head gently hit the bedpost behind me.

"Kise, you really are dumb," I chuckled, hearing him sputter in denial. "Otou-san sent me to go work with a new instructor and he's been really tough on everyone in practices, so by the time my practices are over, it's late at night. I haven't even had time to practice basketball in a while since I also have been working on my piano practices." Silence greeted me for a while before Kise finally responded.

"You know, we were all worried about you since none of us had heard from you. Kurokocchi even called me to ask if I had seen you. I had to call Aominecchi, and even he didn't know where you were!"

"Wait, what do you mean you had to call Aomine? And what the heck? 'Even he didn't know'? It's not like I only hang out with him, sheesh."

"...well, uh, Momoicchi might have called me and told me Aominecchi might have been seeing a girl? Wait! No! I meant that if Kurokocchi didn't know where you were, Aominecchi might! W-wait –"

"I'm going to hang up," I bluntly replied, cutting his ramblings off.

"W-wait! Masamicchi! Noooo! After a week, I finally get to hear your beautiful voice! Don't be cruel!" I brought my free hand up, pinching the bridge of my nose, half out of annoyance and half out of resignation.

"I'll call Kuroko in a minute. Sorry for worrying you, Kise," my voice dropped lower until it was just a soft whisper. I heard him sigh from the other side before saying, "It's because I care that I worry."

A small yet genuine smile lit up my tired face at Kise's words, bringing a small flutter to my heart. I let out a breathy chuckle, "Thanks, Kise. It really means a lot to me."

"I'm glad. Goodnight, Masamicchi!"

"Yeah," I whispered. "Goodnight, Kise." With that, we both hung up, feeling a little relieved and a lot lighter than before. The heaviness weighing down on my shoulders lifted up after talking to the blonde. All I had to do was call Kuroko, and hopefully avoid the others.

"Kuroko?"

"Moshimoshi?" Kuroko's voice sleepily answered.

"H-hey, it's Masami," I stammered nervously. It was silently for a second until the bluenette greeted me, "Ah, Masami-san, how are you?"