The Uncovering

Speeding through the forest the evening light shines through thin clouds, showing tints of orange and pink as the sun begins its descent. The wind is whipping through your fur, bringing with it the fresh scent of the home you love. Your eyes widen in exhilaration as the blurred trees rush past you. A blue shape comes up on your left. He turns to you with a welcoming wave, which you return. So many things have happened since you first ventured into the forest, away from civilization and your past.

        You grin as the blue hedgehog races ahead, egging you on for competition. Adding a slight leap to your step, you quickly catch up. With a sideways glance Sonic can see you running beside him. He swiftly curls into a ball and zooms ahead with a thundering sonic boom. Whoa! Your mouth hangs agape, but you will not let that hedgehog beat you! Narrowing your eyes you stretch your arm muscles and begin to grab at the air, as if you are able to pull the invisible substance back quickly enough to gain speed. It's a strange feeling, but it seems to work. The spinning blue ball comes back into your sight and you continue to race alongside with the same speed. Suddenly the spinning hedgehog disappears, before you feel yourself being yanked backward.

        "Whoa now!" The high-pitched laugh sounds from behind you. Regaining your balance you scan the surroundings to see that you are in a familiar place. Your eyes stop at the blue hedgehog who is giving you an eager look. "Are we near the emerald yet?" he asks with a slight smile.

        You give a slight nod and hold up a hand for silence. Lifting your nose up to the crisp breeze, the skin under your fur begins to burn in embarrassment as you feel Sonic staring with curiosity. You have to close your eyes to concentrate on the many smells going in and out of your nostrils. It has been only a couple days since you had buried the blue emerald, but already with the breezy weather, the scent is beginning to fade away.

        An ear twitches to the side when you hear the slight sniffling of Sonic as he tries to do the same as you, searching for your last scent. Your lips slowly come to a smile at the thought of his futile attempts. You have much more effective senses from living out in the wild, as opposed to the teenage hedgehog who always spends his time watching TV in a cozy mansion.

        A tingle in your nose alerts you of the vanishing scent that has been rediscovered. Your eyes snap open and you dash along the stale path, shortly arriving to a birch tree. (E/c) eyes gaze lovingly as you recall that this is your favorite tree. Putting a palm to the trunk, you give the birch tree a tiny stroke. You tree hugger.

        "Is this where it's buried?" A light tap on your elbow brings you back from daydreaming. Quietly replying "yes," the two of you then scan the roots of the tree for upturned dirt.

        "Here," you tell Sonic, and you begin to dig down into the ground. The hedgehog silently stands beside, patiently waiting for you to uncover the gem. Once you have broken through the layers of dirt to reach the stringy roots, you gasp in dismay at seeing the empty hole.

        "What is it?" Sonic gets to his knees, pushing you out of the way just slightly so he can get a better look. He stares in astonishment at the empty hole, glancing at you with a nervous chuckle. "Maybe you buried it somewhere else?" Sonic's ears droop a little when you shake your head in despair. How could somebody have found it? you wonder, tears beginning to form in your eyes. You hear rustling as Sonic gets to his feet.

        "Shadow must have done this," he says with a low growl. "He must have used the stolen emerald to lead him to this one." Your head hangs low and your ears lay flat. You had been so excited to retrieve the powerful gem found in the wilderness. It could have made up for everything! Gloved hands place themselves under your armpits and lift you to your feet. "Hey, it's alright. When I see that hedgehog again I'll give him a taste of—Oh!" The hedgehog's angry ranting suddenly comes to a stop as a glint catches the eyes of both you and Sonic.