Chapter Two

Chapter 2

"You can not stay on the sofa forever." Nova told me sitting beside my curled up feet. "You need to get a new job. It's been two days now."

I scooped my spoon into the tub of cookie dough ice cream bringing it to my lips with a sigh of pleasure. When your depressed ice cream is the way to go. I ignored Nova to concentrate on the T.V show.

"Are you listening to me!" Nova grabbed the tub from my hands in frustration. "I said you need to get up and look for a job instead of sitting on this sofa getting fat like Homer Simpson."

I turned to her outraged snatching back my ice cream. "I am depressed. Chill it's only been two days. I look for a job tomorrow. I promise." I laid back down with the remote beside me and the tub wrapped up in my arms, just incase Nova decides to steal it again.

"I am not trying to put you down." She picked up my feet to lay them on her lap. "Honestly Kat. We been friends for years. I just worried about you. And..." Her voice trailed off as of she was unsure of what she is about to say.

"And...." I prompted her. "What else was you going to say."

"Nothing." Nova gave me a fake smile. "I forgotten it already." I knew her for years so I knew she was hiding something.

My television show forgotten I leaned up on one arm to look at her. "Just tell me what it is."

"Lexi been dropping hints that she wants you out since you don't have a job." Nova said in a rush. Giving me a pained smile also.

"She wants me out?" I pointed to myself like an idiot. "This place belongs to her father. We only pay the bills and a little rent. It's not like we have a landlord."

Nova shrugged her shoulders. "It's like you said. It belongs to her father."

I sagged back against the couch. "So if she wants me out I'm out." I said finally. Looks like I'm homeless as well as jobless. I would have to return home a failure.

Nova gave my foot a bit of a rub. "Don't be so down. We both signed contracts. As long as you have a job within the allocated time frame. We should be alright."

My eyes shot open. That's right. Nova's dad was a lawyer and he made us all signed contracts for security. If he was here right now I could of kissed him. "How much time do I have?"

"Just over a month. We paid the rent last week so you have to get a job by next rent day." She told me.

I laid back on the sofa thinking of different jobs I could apply for. It would be hard as I cannot offer a reference from my last employer however I bet Sam would be willing to give me one and Nova could as well as long as I get it sent to her work address so they do not know that we are living together. Feeling a bit more inspired I fell asleep to Nova's gentle foot rub.

I woke up later to hear a whispering argument happening behind me.

"I told you that she has to move out." Lexi whispered yelled. This had my ears perking up instantly. I know who she was talking about.

"She got a couple of job interviews at the end of the week. The contract states-" Nova was cut off.

"I don't care what the contract says. This is my place. And what I say goes." Lexi voice sounded louder it was clear she was trying to wake me up.

"Lexi," Nova said quietly. "You owe me. So I am saying give her the six weeks."

There was a pause. I don't know what Nova meant by Lexi owing her but I am eager to find out. Lexi didn't say anything to that remark or if she did I was not able to hear. I then heard the room to her door creak open and slam with veracity. I used the sound as an excuse to wake up.