SIXTY THREE ▶ LEFT BEHIND

chapter sixty three

chapter sixty three

❧ ❧ ❧  

  "Faye. I'm standing in one of my favorite places in the world, surrounded by food, music, art, culture, and all I can think about is how much I want to show it to you. Maybe one day you'll let me."

  She was not sure how many times she listened to it, but it was enough to make her emotions swirl in different directions. Anger; sadness; loneliness; nothing; they all came within five repeats of the same damn voicemail.

   "End of message. Press one to delete. Press seven-" Faye hung up at the sound of the automated voice. She tossed her phone across the bed, electing to stare at the ground rather than watch it thump on her comforter.

  Lacey was gone with Elijah; something she fought to happen as she believed her aunt deserved the world. The only thing she didn't realize was the reason they stayed; Faye's lover himself, Klaus Mikaelson. He had gone in the night after the moment he had danced with her at prom.

  She knew something had been up when he appeared, claiming he came to make her dreams come true. He wasn't doing it for that; he was saying goodbye. Klaus had known that when he had gone to New Orleans, he would continue to stay. 

  He stayed to become king. He chose power. Faye recalled the annoyed tone Lacey kept when she explained the situation, claiming he was going to ruin her plan to protect one of the only family Faye had left (which was another thing Faye had taken poorly, but that was a story for another time). Though, she also recalled the way she could feel her entire mood shift as it was revealed he wouldn't be returning.

  Faye Daniels knew better than to think he would chose her over everything he had ever wanted; power. She knew herself she would never chose Klaus over her pack entirely and couldn't expect the same of him. A slight part of her did, though, and it only ended with aching hearts, much worse than she had with Tyler. 

  "You've listened to that voicemail like a hundred times."

  Faye's eyes flickered up towards Caroline who stood with a sheepish smile across her lips. In the days Lacey had already been gone, the house became too quiet for the hybrid to handle. Caroline had been willing to be the place holder, comforting her all the while.

  Faye huffed in response, unable to find the words. A sad sigh escaped the Forbes, causing her to come towards the bed.

  "Scoot over," Caroline demanded. Faye reluctantly pushed herself to one side of the bed, allowing the blonde to tuck herself under the cover. Concern etched across the Forbes' face, a look Lacey herself would have worn seeing her niece in that state. "Are you okay?"