FIFTY ONE ▶ HEART OF ICE

"Merry Christmas!" Faye shouted, walking into the living room of the Daniels home and throwing confetti all over Lacey who was attempting to read on the couch. The blonde vampire spluttered when some of the scraps hit her nose, causing an itch.

"Faye, please tell me you do know it's not actually Christmas and everything going on right now is for a Winter Wonderland themed fundraiser." Lacey told the young hybrid as she stood up and tried to shake herself clean off the mess Faye had made on her, "I should kill you for this. I get ready, look nice and you ruin it."

"You just look extra festive now so it's okay." Faye said cheerfully, "And I know it's not Christmas, I'm not stupid. I'm just in a Christmas mood now. I wanna do Christmasy things."

"Does this mean you got presents?"

Faye jumped up excitedly, removing the hand from behind her back that Lacey hadn't even noticed she had been hiding to reveal a small box, "I got only you a gift because everyone else might have laughed in my face. Except Caroline. I really think she got gifts for everyone."

"Knowing her, she probably did." Lacey replied with the corner of her lip turned up in a small grin. She took the small box from her niece's hand and hesitated on opening it, "Is it going to blow up?" She raised her brow.

The hybrid rolled her eyes, "No, Lacey, open it."

Lacey let out a sigh before tugging at the ribbon Faye had tied around it and then opening the box when it was loose. Inside was a locket; a plain oval shaped locket with a silver chain that allowed it to hang. It was obviously something Faye had chosen herself and not anyone else. Faye knew Lacey more than anyone; she didn't want the attention grabbing jewelry, her daylight ring was as simple as possible and that's how she liked it. If Caroline or Damon had helped her chose it, it wouldn't work for her taste.

Faye smiled widely as Lacey plucked it from the box an examined it, "Time's a wastin', open it!"

Lacey rolled her eyes playfully at her before pushing her nail in between the clasp to prop the locket open. She held the cold silver in her hand and pushed the front cover aside to see the photo Faye placed inside. A gasp escaped her lips at the sight of it; a photo she didn't think she would ever see again.

Back when Polaroids were the only type of camera would could have on hand, it became one of Amelia's favorite things to use, along with Lacey when Amelia didn't have theirs in her hand. She took pictures of everything that happened throughout Faye's life and with some convincing on Faye's seventh birthday, took a picture of all of their lives. Charles and Amelia sat side by side on the couch, Faye sitting on them, one part of her on Amelia's left leg and one part of her on Charles' right. Elijah stood behind them, one of his hand placed on Charles' shoulder as he smiled genuinely at the camera. On the side of him was herself, Lacey Daniels, standing with her head leaning on Elijah's shoulder and her eyes full of the life she hadn't seen in years.

She had thought that photo was long gone after she had lost it in the attic about he third year after Faye was gone and she just never wanted to see that photo again of the time everything was perfect. But then here it was, in the locket Faye had gotten for her.

She hadn't even realized she was tearing up until she felt the cold tear run down her cheek. Faye giggled softly and reached to wipe the tear away.

"Where did you-?"

"Remember when we were cleaning out the attic?" Faye said with a small smile, "I found it in one of the old photo albums and thought it as a good picture. That's not the original copy because I have the original in a photo album of things I want to remember from those times and have plans to bring it to Bonnie or some witch one of these days when I get the chance. That's a copy Stefan helped me get made so I could fit it into that locket, which I hope you like because it costed Damon some big bucks-"