Kamari Rashaun Valentine

Excuse any mistakes.

Oakland, California
Next morning

Oakland, California Next morning

Farrah

———————

I was walking out of the practice facility, heading to my car to go meet Farrah. Practice had been over, but I stayed afterwards to practice my free throws. My mom forced me to go to practice even though I would have chosen to stay with her. She claimed that she was fine, but we all saw right through that. Her losing her baby made me more conscious to the mother of my unborn child. I didn't want to experience what my dad was going through and I definitely didn't want Farrah going through that.

I unlocked my G-wagon, throwing my bag into the backseat. I got into the driver's seat and cranked the engine. I called dad to check on mom as I drove away. The phone rung a few times before he answered. His voice was groggy signaling that he had just woke up. "Yea.."

   I turned down the volume of the radio. "How's mom?"

Dad cleared his throat before responding. "She's good, just restin' right now. Hope she gonna be discharged soon. How was practice?"

"It was cool. Just tryna get the playbook down. Do you need me to bring some food or what?"

"Iman did before he went home. We good. Go talk to Farrah and stop stallin'." He said.

I sighed, gripping the steering wheel. "I'm not stal—"

"Bullshit." He blurted out.

"Aight, I'm just nervous, Pops. She is Haitian." I said, mumbling the last part.

Dad laughed at me making me smack my lips. "If she wanted to kill you, she would've been did that shit. Trust me."

"That makes me feel so much better, thanks."

"Aye no pro'lem." I could tell he was smiling on the other end. "Where she at anyway?" He asked.

     "San Fransisco with her brother." I typed in the address that Farrah had given me into my gps system while maintaining focus on the road. "I'm pissed she ain't tell me."

"A broken woman gon do whatever she feel is necessary. Might not be smart or right, but that's just how it goes." He explained. "She reacted off impulse. She saw that you acted selfishly so she did the same. Can't be mad. She has a right to feel how she feel."

   I nodded, understanding where he was coming from. "I know, but damn."

He didn't say anything for a minute before speaking. "Why you cheat?"