Kamari Rashaun Valentine

San Diego, California
Three weeks later...
—————————

  I was finally out of rehab, and happy wasn't the word. I actually got out early for showing amazing progress from the first day that I started the program. I didn't tell anyone, but Iman and Farrah. While I was in rehab, I learned that Farrah was pregnant and we were having our issues about it. She didn't feel like we were quite ready for a child, but I told her that we weren't going to kill my seed.

I knew she was upset that we weren't married or anything before this happened. But, I wasn't sure what she expected. I almost never use condoms, and birth control ain't always effective. I had been home for a couple days now, and all we did was argue so I needed to get away. So, I caught a flight to San Diego to see my brother and then I was going to surprise my family.

  It had been a minute since I had been over to Iman's. I wasn't sure if I told him enough, but I was so proud of him. I actually envied him because he, somehow, found his way out of Dad's shadow. That's hard to do, but he did. He owned a successful clothing line at the age of twenty. That's a big accomplishment. He was a man, a better man I was ever was at that age.

  "So, what's been good with you?" Iman asked, reappearing in the living room.

I shook my head. "Stressed." He looked at me, and motioned for me to continue. Taking a seat on the couch, he propped his foot on the table. "Farrah's pregnant."

  "That's a bad thing?"

Sighing, I shrugged. "I don't think so, but she do. She don't think we ready for kids since I just got out of rehab and all. We still have issues to work out in our relationship. But, I just see it as an excuse. You know I believe everything happens for a reason. I mean, I'm scared too. She ain't alone. I ain't going nowhere so she really just been pissing me off with the way she been talkin'."

  "Damn." He said. "How she been talking?"

"Like she wanna get rid of it."

  He shook his head. "How far along is she?"

"She say seven weeks." I looked at him. "When I was in rehab, she came crying and shit. She had just came from her check up, and the doctor told her that she was seven weeks pregnant."

  "Do she want kids?"

I nodded, and sat back on the couch. "Yea, but she wanted to wait til after we were married. Like I told her though, we ain't take the necessary steps to do that so we gotta accept the responsibility."

  "She just scared man. All women do that unless they truly want the baby right then and there. But, give her some time. Motherhood will start going through her head and she'll warm up to it. She just all her shit planned out, and it caught her off guard."

"Shit, I hope so. I'm tired of arguing with her ass." I laid my head on one of the pillows on the couch, and sighed sharply. "I don't run from shit, but her attitude on ten."

  Iman laughed, and shook his head. "I missed you, yo."

"I missed you too, nigga. You gotta take me out. I ain't been out in LA or San Diego in a minute."

  "I gotchu. Our parents should be here soon. I really couldn't come up with a lie so I said I was cooking breakfast. You know dad gotta have a reason to get out the house with his old ass. I ain't cookin' tho so he gon be hurt." He shrugged.

"He gon kick yo ass." I said chuckling.

  "He might." Iman nodded, and laughed again.

"What's been going on since I've been in that hell hole?" I shifted on the couch.