Iman Khalil Valentine

san diego, california

I sat, patiently, and watched as Layla carefully applied her makeup

I sat, patiently, and watched as Layla carefully applied her makeup. This was nothing new for me. She would do this every morning and since she was a talented MUA, I appreciated the artwork. I was an artist myself. Immediately after high school, I launched my own clothing line for men. I didn't go to college, much to my mom's dislike. She, at least, wanted me to get a degree. However, the whole idea of college wasn't for me. I really didn't like high school.

   I felt limited in a crowded space. There was no room for me to grow. I believe that things would've been better if I realized that I wanted to design clothes earlier, instead of my senior year. I would've convinced my parents to place me in a setting that focused on my talents. Not shove math, science, literature, and all of that other bullshit down my throat.

"Every time, you amaze me at how patient you are." Layla stated, snapping me out of my thoughts while she applied eyeliner. Her eyes were on me, and she had this admiring look on her face.

    I stood from the edge of the bed, walking over to where she was sitting. "I can watch you do this all day really." I responded, removing her hair to one side and kissed her neck. "I remember when you couldn't apply mascara to save your life. Now look at you." I chuckled against her mocha skin.

"Ha ha, very funny Khalil."

   "Ah, I'm Khalil now." I smirked. She looked at me and playfully rolled her eyes as she stood up. She placed all of her makeup tools back where they belonged, turning off the light. My phone pinged causing me to go retrieve it off the satin sheets. Mari's name appeared on the screen, signaling that I has received a text from him.

wya? I'm at the house.

obviously I'm not there kid, lol

smart ass negro. bring ya ass baby boy 😘

awww big brother missed me. 🙃

lol, yeah I did actually so hurry up.

leaving the house now 😘😂

"Is Kamari home yet?" Layla asked, as she slid on her jacket. I nodded and showed her the messages. She shook her head, and chuckled lightly. "I love you guys' relationship. Kissy faces and all."

"Yea, other people may think it's weird, but the love just there." I stood up, placing my bomber jacket over my shoulders. "Are you ready?"

"Yes. I just need to grab a cup of coffee." I nodded, figuring that she would want to stop at Starbucks or something. I grabbed her bags and went to load them into my matte black BMW i8. It was a gorgeous day in San Diego, which was nothing out of the blue. I was glad that my dad decided to move here. I only remember little things about New Orleans, but returning made me realize that I didn't like it. From what Kamari tells me, it was anything but a great memory.