Kamari Rashaun Valentine

16 years later
detroit, michigan
december, a day before Christmas

      Turning over, I opened my eyes to eye the clock that sat on the stand beside me

      Turning over, I opened my eyes to eye the clock that sat on the stand beside me. It was just past noon, and I sat up. The sun peeped in the blinds into my eyes causing me to hold my arm up to block it. I hated when Farrah opened my curtains since I bought black ones for a purpose. I pulled the covers back, swinging my legs over and rubbed my eyes. After getting myself together for a couple of minutes, I got up and headed to the bathroom to take care of my hygiene.

I had four off days for the Christmas holidays, which was a blessing. Last year, I was drafted to the Detroit Pistons and I can say the transition was everything but smooth. The only thing that has kept me sane is the fact that I met Farrah. She's amazing and I'm sure my family would love her as well. She and I were going to fly to Los Angeles to spend the holidays with them. I couldn't wait, honestly. While I brushed my teeth, my senses seemed to awaken because I smelled food.

   Once I was done, I moved out of the bedroom and headed down the dark hardwood staircase. I heard movement throughout the kitchen and I figured that it was Farrah. When I made it to the bottom of the staircase, I saw her moving around as she prepared breakfast. I smiled at the fact that she reminded me so much of my mom, who loved cooking. I made my presence known, moving behind her and wrapping my arms around her slim waist.

 I made my presence known, moving behind her and wrapping my arms around her slim waist

"Goodmorning baby." I kissed her temple, then neck.

   She leaned into me, kissing my arm. "Goodmorning daddy."

I turned her around to face me, leaning in to kiss her lips. "Mm." I hummed. "I'm 'daddy' now, huh? Last night I was 'papi.'" I said with a sly smirk on my face.

  She smiled against my lips, pecking them over and over. "I say a lot of things when I'm.. excited." I chuckled, kissing her again before letting her go. "I'm making pancakes, your favorite."

"Mm, brunch." She went back to her task at hand as I leaned on the island. "Are you ready to meet my family?"

    She nodded her head, and looked back at me with a smile on her face. "The way you talk about them makes me comfortable. Hopefully they'll like me because I love you too much to let you go now." She joked. Cutting the stove off, she opened one of the cabinets to grab a plate and began fixing his food.