Chapter 15: Begin Again

(Katia’s POV)

“LIAM! DON’T—”

But I was already in the air, anticipating the coming events. My vision blurred as I fell in, struggling to emerge. I popped my drenched head back up, catching my breath and seeing an amused Liam. He had his mouth wide open as he laughed.

“Not funny!” I wined, approaching him.

“It so was.” He smirked. His eyes ran up and down my soaked body. “You’re shirt’s a bit…um…”

I looked down at my white see-through tee, revealing my blue and white-striped bikini top. “Oh shut up.” I frowned.

He chuckled, wrapping his arm around my waist. “It’s okay, you’re still beautiful.” Liam whispered, as if wanting no one else to hear it but me.

I felt my cheeks flush.

“Do you believe in love Katia?” he asked me suddenly.

My mind went black for a while, soon letting in memories of Jem. He and I had been together for nearly two weeks. He enjoyed leading me on, making me think he actually loved me. After a couple of days, he broke up with me, calling me a stupid and cheap. He said I was too innocent and no fun.

I recalled his light brown hair, almost the same color as Liam’s and his light gray eyes. His tanned skin came from hanging around the beach half the day.

He was the first boy that said he loved me.

My mind drew me back to Liam, who gazed at me with his warm brown eyes.

I looked down. “I believe in being flattered—not loved.”

Something in his expression changed, but barely. “Oh.” He forced a smile, and then turned.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah.” I looked at me again but this time with sad eyes. He held my hand weakly. “We should get going.”

“O-Okay.”

The walk back was quiet.

I felt Liam’s grip on my hand soften, unlike moments ago when he held it protectively, like a little boy who didn’t want to let go of his favorite toy.

Toy.

Maybe that’s all I was to him. Something to keep him occupied while he waited for the girl of his dreams to come and slam her big ass against me, kicking my awkward figure out the picture for good.

Was Liam going to be another Jem?

I glanced over at him; his beautiful brown eyes avoided my plain ones, looking distant. I suddenly found myself staring at his lips. I felt myself catch my breath before turning away sharply.

Maybe I did believe in love—I just chose not to.

(Liam’s POV)

Did she not think I loved her?

I felt her hand slowly slip away from mine as we entered the house. Harry sat alone on the couch, sleeping while a film was going on. He’d put on Love Actually again. It’s his favorite.

“I’m going upstairs.” Katia said wearily.

I nodded and watched her disappear as she ascended with her hand nimbly gliding along the banister as she moved.

“You left?”

I looked down at Harry who had woken up, now staring at me, confused.

I sat beside him as he rose from his lying position. “Yeah.”