Chapter 25: Where We Land

(Katia’s POV)

“So Katia, where do your parent’s work?” Stella asked my before forking a piece of chicken in her mouth.

We all sat in a big dining hall with pastel yellow-colored walls, made of stone. A big, metal chandelier hung overhead, illuminating the room as we ate.

José sat across the table from Gabriel and I while Maria was placed happily between her parents.

I gulped inwardly, hoping they wouldn’t jump to serious conclusions. “I…don’t know. I live with my dad’s sister.”

Stella’s facial expression changed almost immediately, as well as everyone else’s. “Oh. I-If you don’t mind me asking, how did it happen?”

I glanced over at Gabriel who had stopped eating. His eyes were directly on me as I began to explain. “They left my twin sister and I with my aunt when we were born. All I know is that they couldn’t raise us.”

“I’m terribly sorry to hear about that—José and I will be more than happy to have you around more. Think of us as your second set of parents. ”

 She smiled.

I mirrored her expression. “Thank you.”

“Do you still play with Barbie dolls?” Maria asked shyly after gulping down her food.

Gabriel and I exchanged amused looks before I answered. “I used to. I still have my old collection.”

Maria’s eyes lit up at the sound of my response. “Really? Can we play?” She clapped excitedly.

“Sure! I’d be happy to! Come over to my house some time and we’ll play with them.” I suggested.

“Deal!” She giggled adorably.

(Zayn’s POV)

I picked up the phone after the third ring tone. “Excuse me for a bit.” I got up from the couch leaving Grace to talk to the other girls. I quickly walked over to Louis’ room where no one could hear me considering it was my mother calling. I stood right next to the window where I could watch the sky darken as I held the phone to my ear.

“Hello?”

“Zayn? Sweetie? Is that you?” My mom said on the other line.

“Yes, why?” I frowned.

“Nothing, anyway, I just wanted to make sure about Harvard!” She squealed excitedly.

I groaned. “How’d you know about that?”

“The school contacted us of course! Parents should always know about these things! I can’t believe you’re going! I’m so proud of you love!”

“Who said I was going? I’m staying with Grace mom. She needs me here.” I tried explaining.

“What? You’re giving up the chance for a better future for your girlfriend? Zayn, I know you love her. I love her too, but you have to think about this. You don’t know how long One Direction will last.”

I could feel the shock in my body. “One Direction is going to last forever!” I protested helplessly, feeling like I a little boy who still believed in monsters under my bed.

“Honey, listen. It’s just good to have a fall back career.” She said. I could tell she was annoyed. So was I. “Even a girl like Grace will leave you if you can’t feed her.”

Where did all this come from? My mom wasn’t always like this. “Th-That’s not true.” I was a step close to whimpering. Grace was all I cared about before the band. I promised her I’d take care of her and that’s what I plan to do.