Chapter 29: I Know You Can Save Me

Stay with me, baby stay with me,

Tonight don't leave me alone.

Walk with me, come and walk with me,

To the edge of all we've ever known.

I recognized the song that played. “Kiss Me Slowly,” by Parachute. It was a good song and I recalled listening to it before I went to sleep when I was in highschool.

“May I have this dance?” Gabriel smiled, holding my hand.

“Yes you may.” I smirked. It wasn’t like we were the only ones. More couples made their way to the center of the ballroom.

I was a terrible ballroom dancer, but Gabriel made everything easier for me. He was amazing.

His hand found my waist again and my heartbeat quickened.

“Thanks for coming tonight—you know…with me.” He began as we started dancing.

“No problem buddy.” I smiled, but suddenly regretted it when his lips met mine almost immediately. My mind whirled. Gabriel Jones was kissing me. It felt so unreal. The kiss was quick but it said everything.

I can see you there with the city lights,

Fourteenth floor, pale blue eyes.

I can breathe you in.

Two shadows standing by the bedroom door,

No, I could not want you more than I did right then,

As our heads leaned in.

“Don’t you dare call me buddy again.” He smirked.

I could barely talk. My throat went dry. “Um…”

Gabriel chuckled. “Kats, you’re the most beautiful girl I have ever known. I lied that night I got to go out with you for the first time. I had Sebastian set us up. I’m sorry I was too cowardly to do it on my own.”

I couldn’t help my reddening cheeks.

My chest ached, but it felt good. Having Gabriel this close felt too right and I was beginning to wonder if he really meant it. “Gabriel…You’ve been nothing but good to me—But with what happened with Liam—”

“I’m not Liam. I love you.”

I froze. It took me a while to realize that neither of us were dancing anymore. “I love you too.”

Well, I'm not sure what this is gonna be,

But with my eyes closed all I see

Is the skyline, through the window,

The moon above you and the streets below.

Hold my breath as you're moving in,

Taste your lips and feel your skin.

When the time comes, baby don't run, just kiss me slowly.

He grinned widely. “Would you do me the honor of being my girlfriend? I  mean, I know this isn’t probably how you wanted to be asked but—”

I kissed him quickly. “Yes.”

(Gabriel’s POV)

“What time did he say he was arriving?” I asked as Katia hopped in the seat beside mine. Last night’s events still played vividly in my mind.