Hunger Games AU

I like writing AUs. I also just needed to calm down again... so... yeah......
Dean's POV
"Samuel Winchester!"

The name hits me like a rock. Sam starts to walk up from the back. I push through the crowd and stop him from walking any farther.

"I volunteer!" I shout.

"Dean no," he says.

I glare at him. I walk towards the stage, but he follows me.

"Dean no! Please don't do this!" Someone grabs his arm and pulls him into a hug, stopping him.

"Gabe let me go!" He screams.

"Go." Gabriel mouths.

I get on the stage and I look back at them. "Thank you." I whisper. He nods, somehow understanding me.

I take my place next to the red haired woman named Rowena who's District 12's escort.

"Well alright, so what's your name child?" She asks.

I gulp. "Dean Winchester."

"Well then that fine little lad must've been your little brother! Let's give a round of applause for our tributes, Jo Harville and Dean Winchester!"

The crowd is silent. They press the three middle fingers of their left hand to their lips, and then raise it into the air. I stand, showing no emotion. If I show emotion I'll be seen as weak. If I'm seen as weak, I may not be able to come home to Sammy. They lead me and Jo away to rooms where we can have our final goodbyes. No, not final. I'm coming back to Sam. He comes in, crying, and my dad comes in, empty.

"Don't go Dean. You shouldn't have done this. I'm not worth it Dean," he's crying. I make him look me in the face.

"Listen to me Sammy, never tell yourself that. You're worth everything I'm about to go through. And when I get home, I want you to be waiting for me, happy. You are worth this and so much more."

He sniffs. "Thanks Dean."

He stays attached to my waist. And the. I turn my attention to my dad.

"Listen to me you son of a bitch, you cannot go empty on him! There's no me to save him this time! Do you understand?!? You cannot do what you did with moms death, no matter what you see on that tv! Got it?!?" I yell.

He nods. "I'll take care of him."

He tries to hug me, but I push him away. I don't trust my father, ever since he left me to take care of Sam. When our mom died, he just, left.

"You'd better." I say.

Sam spends the rest of our time in my lap, while I sing him a song our mother used to sing us.

(Italics is Dean, underline Italics is both of them.)
"Deep in the meadow, under the willow, a bed of grass, a soft green pillow, lay down your head, and close your eyes, and when they open, the sun will rise.

Here it is safe, here it is warm, here the Daisy's guard you from every harm, here you're dreams are sweet, and tomorrow brings them true, here is the place where I love you.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away, a cloak of dreams, a moonbeam ray. Forget your woes, and let your troubles lay, and when it's morning they'll wash away.

Here it is safe, here it is warm, here the Daisy's guard you from every harm, here you're dreams are sweet, and tomorrow brings them true, here is the place where I love you."

We finish the last verse just as the peacekeepers come to take them away.

"Please come back to me." Sam says, slipping something into my hands.

"Of course, bitch."

"Jerk."

They take them away and I look in my hand. It's an amulet. I smile and I put it on.

"Alright, time to go."

*1 week later, the night of the interviews*

I had been training all week, and now it's the night of the interviews. Jo and I grew up together, so naturally we became training partners. This guy from district two, Cas is his name, had trained with me a few times. I guess if I considered anyone else a friend here it'd be him, but I had mostly been with myself and Jo.

But right now I wasn't training. Right now I was getting makeup put on me by  Charlie, my stylist. Although I can tell she's rather be Jo's, by the way they talk about each other and look at each other. She could tell I was slightly nervous.

"Relax Dean  you'll be fine!"

"Benny and Rowena don't seem to think so," I murmur.

Benny is our mentor.

"Dean, do what I tell you, suck it up, and just answer the damn questions." She says.

"What if they ask about my home life?!? I'm not letting them have that!" I say.

She sighs. "Can you tell me?"

I shrug. "I guess so."

"Good. I'll be in the front row, just look for me, and answer them to me. Not them. Just me."

I nod.

"Ok! Done! Now let's go!"

I wait in the area before the interview with the rest of the tributes, when Cas comes up to me.

"Hey."

"Hey."

We stand in silence until they call Cas's name.

"Um, I gotta go," he says. He leans in and whispers in my ear. "Meet me on the roof tonight, midnight."

And then he goes out. I watch his interview, and he's quite confident. I watch everyone else and then it's my turn to go up.

"Good luck." Jo says.

I walk up there, and I find Charlie. She smiles at me. I sit next to the interviewer, a man named Balthazar Flickerman.

"Hey Dean Winchester! The idiot who volunteered for his brother! Alright, alright, now calm down! Now, let's ask the question on everyone's mind, Dean, you're a regulation hottie,"

I stare at him. "What?!?"

"Own it. Now, is there any special girl for you back home??"

I look to Charlie. She nods.

"Nope, sorry Balthazar, no girl for me. Just my awesome little brother Sam and my dad, John."

"Aww, well, now that's just too bad! Sam really is a cute one though, adorable. I know he's already stolen some hearts here in the Capital."

"Uh, ok."

Honestly I was hoping Sam would stay out of this. But I guess it's too late now.

"Anyway, that suit is a-maz-ing!"

If Balthazar seems gay to you, he's gayer than a rainbow unicorn riding a rainbow over a rainbow valley. Anyway, the suit I'm wearing is fire red and has jewels lining the jacket bottom.

"Thanks. It was made by my epic designer Charlie." I say.

I look to her. She's spinning her finger around and mouthing something, but I can't read lips for shit. But I get what she's trying to say. "Twirl for me."

I roll my eyes, but I get up and twist around.

"Oohhh! Do that again!" Balthazar says.

I twirl around again, feeling like an idjit. The jewels on my jacket reflect the light, and it looks like fire. And then my interview is over.

"Let's hear it for Dean Winchester, the boy on fire!"