XXXV*

A couple of months later

I had just fallen asleep when I heard my phone vibrating against the wooden night stand. I lazily reached for it and answered the phone without checking the caller id.

"Happy Birthday!" Langston's deep voice rang out

"Thank you." I mumbled

"Am I interrupting something?" he asked

"Yea, my sleep."

"But it's midnight, I thought you would be up waiting for bday calls."

"I had a long day."

"Well, I'll see you tonight."

"Mhmm." I said before hanging up

I decided to put my phone on do not disturb until I was ready to face the world.

When I awoke again, it was 9:30 in the morning and Giovanni was of course already up. I didn't know what time he came in, but I'm pretty sure it was later than what we agreed on.

I got out of bed and headed to the bathroom to shower. As much as I wanted to take my time, I knew I had phone calls to return and information to give out for tonight. Giorgio offered to host my party at his club and I spent all of last night getting arrangements over the phone together. I would have to make my way over to the club soon to make sure everything I wanted was in its place. I still needed to go shopping for a birthday outfit because it was the one thing I had forgotten to do since I was so busy planning my party.

When I stepped out of the shower, I pulled a towel around my body and walked back into the bedroom to get dressed in some sweats for the day. To my surprise, there was a medium-sized wrapped box on the bed. Like a kid on Christmas, I destroyed the wrapping paper, eager to get to what was inside. On the box, the Saks Fifth-Avenue logo was printed. When I opened the box, a pair of mauve knee-high boots were present.

"Do you like them?" Giovanni appeared at the door, "Gabi picked them out."

"They're so cute." I smiled

"Happy Birthday."

"Thank you." I got up and kissed him

"I made you breakfast." he said

He grabbed my hand and led me to the kitchen where I could see that he made french toast for me. He made my plate and watched me eat the dish in delight.

"So what time did you get in last night?" I asked him

"Not late." he shrugged

I glared at him and jabbed him lightly with my fork.

"That's assault." he joked

"I will stab you the next time you lie to me."

"Looks like I'm rubbing off on you." he smiled

"I bet you would like that, wouldn't you?"

"I was out getting stuff for you."

"Stores close at 9", I raised my fist up to strike him, "I'm going to hit you."

"You're so cute."

"You think I'm playing games?"

"I just love when you get mad." he chuckled

I rolled my eyes and finished my food in silence. I will not allow him to upset me on my birthday. He tried to talk to me and he soon caught on that I was giving him the silent treatment. He sighed with a smile and got up from the table to go wherever. I was looking at my phone when he came back into the kitchen with huge balloons. There were more than a dozen of them and two were inflatable numbers of 2 and 5.