XIX

After a few months of me getting back on my feet, I was able to find a job downtown doing investment and basic accounting. It was definitely a demotion, but I was happy nonetheless.

I needed time to process the stressful situation that Giovanni put me in. The position was simple and I didn't mind going home after eight hours. I had more time to work on myself and think about my future.

I knew that I couldn't just sweep everything I had been through under the rug; I needed to be realistic. I knew that someone would come looking for me and I wanted to be prepared when that happened. I changed the locks on my door and obtained dead bolt latches. I began taking a few self-defense classes at night and purchased a gun.

On weekends, I went to the gun range to practice my accuracy. I didn't feel safe with just locking my door anymore. I was sure to keep this information from my brother because it would lead to questions about my sudden paranoia.

I knew that the only way that I could feel safe, would be to leave Philly. Everyone knew I lived here and there were people who knew my routine. I made a plan to save up for a few months so that could I move to a different coast. I was looking into relocating to Miami; There would be plenty of job opportunities and it would be a big enough place to hide. I told my family my plans to leave a few weeks in advance. I didn't want to tell them where I was going just yet, I wanted to be sure that no one could find me.

"You're just traveling all over the place." my dad stated

We were having Sunday dinner and I made them homemade pasta, using Carla's recipe.

"Isn't that what I'm supposed to do." I shrugged

"You sure you're not running from something?"

"Like what?"

"I don't know your life." he shrugged

"I'm just exploring the world."

My dad didn't speak on me leaving again, even though I know he wanted to ask more questions. When my dad went to the bathroom, Langston quickly came over to me in the kitchen.

"So what's this about?" he asked suspicious

"I got a job offer." I shrugged nonchalantly

"You've gotten plenty of offers, but you said you would never leave."

"Well, that was a long time ago."

"Does he know that you're leaving?"

"He, who?"

"You know who?"

"I haven't talked to him in months. And it isn't any of his business." I said sternly

"You don't have to say it, but I know you're leaving because of him."

"He doesn't live here."

"But he knows that you do."

The he Langston was talking about, was Giovanni. I didn't want to see Giovanni nor did I want him to know where I was going. I believed that he still had guards watching my family and I, but I was determined to lose them on my way to the airport.

"Even if he found out where I was going, it doesn't matter. I don't want to see him."

"You probably broke his heart leaving the way you did."

"Since when do you care about other people?" I asked harshly

"Just saying. I think he cared about you."

"Whose side are you on? He led me on and I was stupid to fall for it. I'm the victim here."

"I think you should call him."