VII

When I awoke the next morning, I was confused on my surroundings before remembering yesterday's events. I looked down, noticing the shirt I was wearing.

I hoped Giovanni would let me go get more clothes, I hadn't showered since my stay in the hospital. I felt disgusting and I was ready to start an argument if he pulled the "it's not safe"excuse.

I put my jeans back on before opening the door. I was ready to confront Giovanni, morning breath and all. But when I walked out of the room, I was greeted with silver trays of food in the kitchen. Giovanni was seated at the small dining table with papers and his laptop in front of him. I was able to walk closer to the trays before he noticed my presence. He smiled and closed his laptop before walking over to me.

"Buongiorno."

"What?"

"Good morning." he switched to English

"Oh, good morning."

"I ordered breakfast. I didn't know what you wanted so I asked for a little of everything."

"Thanks."

Giovanni was never this nice to me and it made me wonder if our conversation last night changed that.

"Listen, Giovanni-"

"You know you can call me Gio?"

Gio? His brother called him that. I thought that name was only reserved for special persons and I knew for sure I wasn't one of them. Besides, it was weird. He was still my boss, after all, and had it not been for the same last name the boys shared, I would be calling him Mr. Amanté.

"Okay...I need clothes and I don't mean just a t-shirt and jeans, I need underwear and socks. I also need a toothbrush and toothpaste and-"

"I'll get you whatever you need."

"That's the thing: you and Giorgio don't have the female mentality to shop for me." I explained

"So what are you saying?"

"I need to come with you."

"No."

"So you can go but I can't? We were both involved." I argued

"Its for the best."

"Stop saying that! This doesn't make sense. If everything is all cleaned up then why do I need to stay here?"

"Look, you're in no position to argue, so just listen." he demanded

Who was he talking to?

"I will go with or without you, you choose."

"And how to do you plan to do that?" he challenged

"Don't worry about it." I said glaring up at him

There was a knock at the door but that did not interrupt our stare down. I knew why he wouldn't let me leave: He was keeping me here so he could watch my every move. The knock came again and he stepped back to go get the door. I crossed my arms over my chest and shifted my weight to the left side of my body. Giorgio came in and looked between the both of us.

"Are you two fighting again?" Giorgio asked amused

"You deal with her." Giovanni scoffed to his brother before leaving

Giovanni slammed the door behind him before I let out an exasperated sigh.

"Your brother is impossible!"

"Oh calm down, piccola." Giorgio chuckled

"What is it that you two are saying?" I asked frustrated