The Triangle of Hearts

The soft drumming of rain hit the roof of the car. A girl looked out the window with sadness in her eyes.

"Here we are! Rebecca aren't you excited? The Big Apple!" An overly happy voice stated. She made no attempt to reply and instead turned up her music.

Rebecca had her hood on as she shuffled through songs.

The rain slid down the window and disappeared into the cracks. Sirens could be heard in the distance. She saw homeless and shady looking characters. The buildings seemed to tower over her.

"Great..." Rebecca thought to herself. "Another place to have a boring life." Her eyes began to wander. "I wonder if there's anything different here."

The car soon came to a stop. The woman paid the taxi driver and exited the cab. Rebecca did not leave. The woman tapped on her window as she stood in the rain. Her short blonde hair was drenched along with her sweater and skirt.

"Out," the muffled sound of the drenched adults voice drifted through the window. Satisfied Rebecca exited the taxi and slipped her phone in her pocket.

The women led Rebecca to a building. A fat man greeted them and handed them a key. They walked up the stairs passing by many other doors and many floors.

Eventually they reached their door. The woman opened up the apartment and pushed Rebecca in.

"Phew. I'm glad that's over. Do you have any idea how hard it is to be nice to you in front of people." The woman said rudely.

"No one said being my foster parent would be easy Kate," Rebecca snapped.

"It's mom to you. Ungrateful child." Kate laid down two sleeping bags. "Bed time."

"It's only ten! Besides I'm fifteen I don't need to be babysat." Rebecca argued. She was given an annoyed look.

"It's late and I order you to go to bed!" Kate turned away and headed to their bathroom.

Rebecca let out a sigh and began to get ready for bed. She silently slipped into her sleeping bag and rested her head.

Tomorrow was Saturday which meant a whole day with Kate. Rebecca dreaded the thought. She slipped her hair pin out of her long brown hair and looked at its dark red color. She held it to her chest.

"I miss you mom..." Rebecca whispered and slowly drifted off to sleep.

The next day Rebecca hurriedly left the apartment to get as far away from her foster parent as she could. It was early in the morning and still dark.

The cold air felt good on her skin. She didn't seem to be afraid of the shady characters. In fact Rebecca seemed to fit right in with her blonde highlighted streaks and her ear piercings. A beat up gray hoodie and torn jeans with worn sneakers.

"Something to do... Something to do..." She thought to herself as she looked around.

She noticed a few figures move to the side of a jewelry store. A smile crept onto her face and she followed them. A skinny man with a giant dragon tattoo led a small group of thugs.

"Alright so we get in, get what we need, and get out," the thin one ordered. "One... Two..."

"Hey!" Rebecca called out to them.The thugs all turned to her direction. They glared at her. "Your the notorious purple dragons right? Well I want in!" Rebecca crossed her arms.

The gang began to advance on her. A buff one was about to signal an attack when the scrawny one put a hand up for them to stop.

"You got some guts kid... I like that," the man smirked.