Chapter 33: June 22, 2010

COPYRIGHT © SARAH MARTIN 2015

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THIS BOOK OR ANY PORTION OF THIS BOOK THEREOF MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR. ANY UNAUTHORIZED COPYING, BROADCASTING, MANIPULATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF THIS COPYRIGHT IS PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

Chapter Thirty-Three – Present

June 22, 2010

Katie looked up at the sound of Dr. Pierce's voice, breaking her from her reverie."Your session time is up, Katie."

She hadn't realized it, but she had stopped talking and was sitting silent, lost in thought. "Oh, um... Sorry," she quickly apologized.

"It's alright," Dr. Pierce answered, "Are you feeling okay?"

Katie nodded, "I just... can't believe how good it feels to talk about it. It feels like a weight has been lifted after putting so much pressure on myself to be strong and hold myself together."

Dr. Pierce gave her a warm smile, "That's good, Katelyn. I'm glad."

She smiled back and said, "I'm almost done the story, so..."

"Next time you can finish," Dr. Pierce finished for her. Katie stood up from the couch and Dr. Pierce said, "I'm sorry we ran out of time. I should have stopped you so we had more time to talk about the story."

"It's okay," Dr. Pierce followed Katie to the door and led her out, saying "goodbye" and "take care" and "see you next session."

When Katie arrived home, she sat down in the living room where her parents were watching TV. They barely batted an eyelash when she walked in, each of them only muttering simple, "Hello"s.

Katie sat on the recliner, her hands clasped together in her lap. Her parents heads immediately shot up when Katie suddenly exclaimed, "I want to visit Julia."

Her parents always avoided the subject of Julia. When she had decided to move out to live with their grandparents, her parents tried to understand but at the same time, felt abandoned. After all, they would never fully understand the trauma Katie and Julia went through.

"Are you sure?" Katie's mother responded to Katie's announcement.

Katie nodded, "I miss her." She paused, biting her lip nervously. "Mom, will you come with me?"

Her mother looked away from Katie, back to the TV, ignoring her question. "Your father will take you some time next week."

Katie sighed, standing up, "Okay."

She headed up to her room and didn't make an appearance until dinner time.

June 25, 2010

Later that week, Friday, Katie walked to therapy again, this time without Trace. She didn't know where he was but he wasn't home. She texted him before she left.

Going 2 therapy. Txt u later.

She was barely able to send the text out though, because she forgot that her phone was dying. She mumbled, "crap," not having time to charge it. She then turned her phone off, sticking it in her pocket.

During the week she kept mostly to herself, hanging out with Trace a few times here and there. A lot of the time she was thinking about Julia. She didn't blame her for living with their grandparents, and sometimes Katie wished she had done the same. It was getting harder to live in that house.