Chapter 6: Katie

COPYRIGHT © SARAH MARTIN 2015

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THIS BOOK OR ANY PORTION OF THIS BOOK THEREOF MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR. ANY UNAUTHORIZED COPYING, BROADCASTING, MANIPULATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF THIS COPYRIGHT IS PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

GO TO MY NEW WATTY AWARDS STORY IN THE EXTERNAL LINK. OVER THERE --->

Part Six

Friday, February 12, 2010

It was, of course, the best of my friends, Mary. She stood on my doorstep, bag in hand and sleeping bag balled up at her feet.

"Hey!" I exclaimed, leaning in to give her a hug.

She dropped her bag and hugged me back, saying, "Hey! Happy birthday!"

"Thanks," I smiled, breaking the hug. "So, come on in," I invited, gesturing for her to come in.

She walked into my home, noticed Trace, and her face lit up. "Oh uh, hey Trace," she said, surprised to see him there.

"Hi," he replied, with an awkward wave of his hand.

"Are you staying...?" She questioned, hesitantly.

He chuckled. "Nah, Katelyn didn't invite me," He told her, glaring at me in mock anger. "Well, I'm gonna go then," he said, squeezing past Mary and to the door, where he grabbed her sleeping bag and put it in the house for her.

Mary smiled, blushing, "Thanks."

"No problem," he replied, "See ya. Have fun," he said, as we watched him walk across the lawn and onto his driveway.

Mary and I proceeded to the living room after closing the door, and taking her things up to my room, and within 10 minutes, Sam and Sabrina arrived.

We chatted and gossiped for a little while, and I opened some of my gifts from my friends. Mary got me a cute t-shirt, Sam got me some cheap dollar store jewelery (but I was still thankful) and Sabrina got me black eyeliners and nail polish. I chuckled when I opened hers. After presents, we got comfortable and watched The Back-Up Plan, munching on cake at the same time. We of course, ate it before dinner. We would order pizza later.

After the movie, we headed up to my room and changed into more comfortable clothes. The three of my friends just wore pajama pants with tank tops, while I wore the t-shirt Mary got me. For about an hour we sat around and talked. At around 9pm, I blasted some music and we listened while Sabrina painted my nails, Sam sat at my computer, and Mary flipped through an old elementary school photo album.

When Sabrina was done with my nails, I stood up, as Three Days Grace played loud over my speakers, and shouted, "I'm gonna get us some drinks!" Blowing on my nails to dry them, I headed down to the kitchen. Coke cans in hand, I was heading back upstairs when I heard the doorbell ringing.

I answered the door to find Trace's sister, Lilah. "What the hell are you guys doing?" She asked, frustration in her voice.

"Sorry," I apologized, meekly. "Is it too loud?"

She understated, "Just a tad."

Lilah is Trace's older sister. She was 17 and the epitome of popular. But she wasn't the stuck up, bitchy kind of popular. She actually deserved it. She was my role model. She had so much confidence but she wasn't arrogant about it. Thin, with green eyes and straight light brown hair – She was everything that I would look for in an older sister. She was Valedictorian for her graduating class that year. She was captain of the cheerleading squad, and the senior girls soccer team. She was kind to everyone and was never judgmental.