Chapter 5: Katie

COPYRIGHT © SARAH MARTIN 2015

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THIS BOOK OR ANY PORTION OF THIS BOOK THEREOF MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR. ANY UNAUTHORIZED COPYING, BROADCASTING, MANIPULATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF THIS COPYRIGHT IS PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

Part Five

Friday, February 12, 2010

The day of the party

The following week, it had finally reached the day of my party, and I was more excited than ever. After school during the week, I spent the time helping my mom clean the house. My mother was a neat freak, and had to have the house spotless for company of any kind. I, unfortunately, had inherited this cleanliness compulsion, but my condition was thankfully not as severe.

I only talked to Steve online a couple times that week. As the day drew closer and closer, I didn't have time to think about possible internet creepers. Though, one thing I did think about constantly was my dream about Trace. It repeatedly ran itself through my mind, and every time I saw Trace, I blushed a deep scarlet, even though he couldn't possibly know what I was thinking.

My parents had left for my grandparents house early that morning. I asked them if they would, so that I could prove that I was responsible. They would be gone until Sunday, so I had the house to myself for the night. Julia was supposed to be spending the night at her friend Brittany's house, but would be back Saturday afternoon. So I wouldn't have the entire weekend to myself. I would be accountable for my sister as well.

After tidying up my room, I sat down at my dresser in front of the mirror and straightened my hair. After I was done with that, I started applying my makeup, and had just pressed the eyeliner to my eyelid, when the tip of the pencil broke off, and I didn't have a sharpener for it.

Sighing, I trudged into my sisters room to find a different eyeliner. I was just going to use it, and then return it, but I was shocked to find that she was actually there, when she wasn't supposed to be.

I walked into her room, startled to find her lounging on her bed, flipping through a magazine.

"Julia!" I exclaimed, frowning. "What are you doing here?!"

She looked up. "I live here?" She said, smirking.

I slouched, my hands on my hips, and brows raised. "You're supposed to be at your friends house. Mary, Sam, and Sabrina are coming over for my birthday later, remember?"

"Yes, I know, mother," she replied, clear annoyance in her tone. "Brittany cancelled on me," she informed me, much to my dismay.

"Well tell her to 'un-cancel'!" I shrieked.

She rolled her eyes. "You know I can't do that. Don't worry about it, I'll be quiet, you won't even know I'm here."

I sighed, pouting, "Fine" I replied, annoyed to have lost the argument.

"Whatever. It's not like being stuck with your sister on your birthday is going to kill you," she said, turning a page in the magazine, clear resentment in her voice. "Happy birthday, by the way..."

"Thanks, Jules," I responded. I walked over to her vanity, and claimed the eyeliner, saying, "I don't want to hear a peep out of you," as I sauntered out of the room.

The phone rang just as I was heading back to my room, and I ran downstairs to answer it in the kitchen. When I picked up the phone, all I heard was a screeching loud, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!"

It was my parents, calling from my grandparents house. I chuckled, holding the phone away from my ear. "Thanks mom. Thanks dad."

Both of them made sure everything was okay at home, and I informed them that Julia would be staying after all. As I spoke to my dad, I begrudgingly agreed to include her in my party. I knew I wouldn't though, and I knew she didn't care if I did or not.

Getting off the phone with my parents, I advanced back to my room for the second time.

When I was finally dressed and had all my makeup applied, I was wearing grey skinny jeans and a blue halter top.

It was two hours before my friends would arrive, and I passed the time by watching tv, and fixing up a few last minute things, like making sure there were snacks for everyone.

I stood in my room, at 5:45, 15 minutes before I told my friends to be there. I sat down on my bed, a frenzy of emotion coursing through my veins.

Little did I know that my party would be more excitement than I needed for a lifetime.

I drummed my fingers nervously on the soft fabric of my bed sheet, impatient, staring at the clock. I laid down with a huff. I lay there for maybe 8 minutes before I groaned and sat up.

I needed to do something to calm myself, and I opened the drawer to my nightstand, my eyes landing on my dream journal. I decided to record my dream about Trace. I reached in my drawer for the book and fished for my pen. As I wrote, I relived the dream, and I got lost in it. I was almost done writing, until before I knew it, the doorbell was ringing. I looked at the clock. 5:58.

I threw my book onto my nightstand, without bothering to put it back in the drawer, and ran downstairs to greet whoever it was.

My face fell when I opened the door and saw only Trace. And then my expression lifted again when I realized it was Trace.

I smiled. Big. And blushed immediately after when I remember what I was just writing.

"Boo," he greeted. Casually, he waltzed into my house, once again, without being invited.

"You know I'm having company over like momentarily, right?" I said to him, frowning as he strutted into my living room and turned on the tv.

He looked at me and winked, "I know, that's why I came over. I am, invited, correct?"

I rolled my eyes, "You know you're not. Now go home before the girls get here."

He leaned back on the couch, saying, "Nah, I'm comfortable right where I am."

I walked over to him and playfully kicked him in the leg, "Go. Away."

He pretended it hurt, and I just stood there like an idiot. "Nope," was his simple reply. I groaned, and then he looked at me for the first time, and noted, "Hey, you look great."

I blushed. "Thanks."

I sat down beside him, defeated into letting him stay until the girls arrived. It was only a couple minutes away. Trace changed the channel and flicked it to a music video by a new band called TheLast2Leave. The song was called "Breakdown." I bobbed my head to the music.

After the song was over, Trace talked the volume down and cleared his throat, asking me, "So, what are you guys gonna do?"

"I dunno," I shrugged. Watch a movie, gossip, do make up, play truth or dare."

Trace rolled his eyes. "Definitely sounds like a girl sleepover."

I shoved him lightly, "Shut up."

The doorbell rang and my eyes lit up, and I jumped off the couch to answer it, with Trace following behind me.

I opened the door with a big grin on my face, ready to greet my first guest.