Chapter 30: Katie

COPYRIGHT © SARAH MARTIN 2015

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THIS BOOK OR ANY PORTION OF THIS BOOK THEREOF MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR. ANY UNAUTHORIZED COPYING, BROADCASTING, MANIPULATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF THIS COPYRIGHT IS PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

Comment and vote, please. 

Part Thirty
Saturday, February 13, 2010

I gaped up at Steve while he talked to someone on his cellphone. I could tell that everyone was nervous and hopeful. Steve was obviously talking to a police officer and we prayed that they would convince Steve to let us go.

I sighed as I listened. Unfortunately Steve didn't seem to be cooperating. Does he honestly think he's going to get his way? I thought to myself in disbelief.

"I want money," Steve said into the phone as he peeked out the window. I knew what he really wanted and it obviously wasn't money. It had to have something to do with why he was calling me Kathy. Steve shook his head and was beginning to look irritated. That can't be good. "Gimme my cash and we'll see," he demanded curtly.

With everything that was going on in the bedroom, I had nearly forgotten about Trace. What was he going to do?

No sooner than I thought of him, he suddenly appeared in the doorway. My eyes went wide with shock and I had to force myself not to call out his name. Julia, Mary, and Sam gaped at him in horror and confusion. Probably much like how I was felt when Trace approached me in the bathroom.

Trace stood still in the doorway with the knife in his hand. He brought his finger to his lips in a shushing motion. I tried to put on a poker face, so Steve wouldn't notice something was amiss.

Unaware of Trace's presence, Steve then said into the phone, "Why should I trust you, Chief?"

I couldn't hold my poker face any longer and a horrified look came over me when Trace started to sneak up behind Steve with the knife raised. All I could think was that I couldn't lose Trace again. How could he be so idiotic?

I looked up and my heart stopped in my chest when I realized Steve was staring right at me. He had seen the look on my face and knew something was wrong.

Steve's brow was raised when he looked away from me and back at the window. He must have seen Trace's reflection, because suddenly his eyes we wide and he was on full alert. I screamed, "No, Trace!" As Steve hollered, "What the fuck?!"

In a matter of seconds, Steve suddenly reached behind his back and pulled out a gun that was tucked into his pants. All the girls screamed over each other. Sam shouted something and so did Julia, but I couldn't make out anything.

Steve turned, dropping the cellphone to the floor with the gun pointing straight ahead. It would have been aimed right at Trace, had he not seen Steve's move coming and avoided Steve's swing. Trace ran around behind Steve and passed in front of Sam. Steve swivelled again, following Trace. He then pulled the trigger and a deafening bang resounded throughout the room. I screamed, fearing that he had hit Trace. Everyone's eyes were closed tight as they jumped in surprise.

I opened my eyes and was astounded to see that Trace had completely dodged the bullet. I was horrified when I realized that yes, Trace hadn't been shot, but Sam had.

The bullet hit her right in the chest. Her eyes were wide but lifeless. Blood poured from her mouth and wound. I was mortified as I watched as Sam's body fell over, hitting the hardwood with a thunk.