Chapter 28: Katheryn

COPYRIGHT © SARAH MARTIN 2015

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THIS BOOK OR ANY PORTION OF THIS BOOK THEREOF MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR. ANY UNAUTHORIZED COPYING, BROADCASTING, MANIPULATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF THIS COPYRIGHT IS PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

Dedicated to Trace! He's brand new to wattpad so check out his sci-fi short story. He's an amazing writer.

This is probably my best chapter yet. I hope you all love it and vote if you do :) The song is "Secrets and Regrets" by Pillar. OH, and check out my new "Writing tips" story! Let me know what you think of it.

Part Twenty-Eight

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

He barely glanced up from whatever sports game he was sitting on the couch watching while Katheryn stood in the kitchen making dinner and asked, "How's the game?"

"Awesome!" Daniel exclaimed from the couch. Kathy rolled her eyes. She acted like she cared because she knew it made him happy, but why bother when he didn't give a rats ass about her life?

Worry was etched on the lines of her face but Daniel was too oblivious, as usual, to notice.

That morning when Katheryn woke up, she puked and realized her period was two weeks late. As a result, she stopped by the drug store to pick up a pregnancy test. In the bathroom at the diner where she worked, she took the test and found out she was pregnant. She was six weeks along.

She was about to tell her boyfriend of two years and she was dreading it. Why? Because she knew that Daniel would never be a suitable father. He was immature and unhealthy. She couldn't bring a baby into the world when it had Daniel as a father. But, maybe things would be alright. Maybe by some miracle, Daniel would turn himself around. But Kathy doubted it.

Kathy leaned up against the counter and looked at her boyfriend while he gulped down his beer. She sighed and said, "Daniel." He didn't glance up. "Daniel, I need to tell you something."

"YES!" Enthusiastic, Daniel jumped in his seat on the couch, "In a minute, babe. The game is getting really good."

Kathy frowned and walked toward the television. With a cry of protest from Daniel, she turned it off. "KATHY!" He exclaimed.

"No, Daniel," her tone was stern, which made him realize that this was serious. He was secretly wondering if Kathy was about to confess that she was cheating on him, but he knew she would never do that to him. His brow furrowed in bewilderment. "We need to talk now."

He stood up and took a step towards her. "Whats wrong, babe? Is everything okay?"

The concern in Daniel's voice nearly made Kathy's heart break. "I need to tell you something," she said.

He wrapped his hands around hers, "Tell me."

Kathy took a deep breath, opening her mouth to speak but hesitated. "I-I'm pregnant," she uttered.

His eyes widened and Kathy was unable to assess his reaction. He didn't look happy or upset.

Kathy started, "But-"

Daniel cut her off with, "Really?"

She nodded rapidly, eager to get the conversation over with. She wasn't expecting Daniel to be pleased by the news, but Kathy was in for a pleasant surprise.

A large smile donned his face and he engulfed her in a bone crushing hug and exclaimed, "That's great!" Daniel wasn't expecting that at all. They always used a condom. But it was amazing news anyway.