Chapter 29: William

COPYRIGHT © SARAH MARTIN 2015

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THIS BOOK OR ANY PORTION OF THIS BOOK THEREOF MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR. ANY UNAUTHORIZED COPYING, BROADCASTING, MANIPULATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF THIS COPYRIGHT IS PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

The song is "Reckless" by Papa Roach and the pic is Christopher Plummer who plays Charles Malick. Enjoy the chapter and make sure to vote! (:

Part Twenty-Nine

Saturday, February 13, 2010

William Finley

William looked at Kathy with sympathetic eyes while she finished up her story. How difficult must it have been for her to go through that?

Neglected mugs of tea sat on the table in front of them and the energy in the room was surrounded in a thick wall of sorrow.

Alex cleared her throat, after Kathy went silent for a few moments, "So, what happened after Daniel ran out?" Detective Emerson questioned.

Kathy explained, "The next thing I remember, I woke up in the hospital," she told the two officers, "The police explained that my landlord found my body in the apartment the next morning and brought me to the hospital," she stopped, letting out an emotional sigh, "I can't tell you how thankful I am for that man."

"Then what, Kathy?" William asked.

"Well, um...that's basically the end of the story."

Alex looked at her, "What happened to your baby?"

"I had to have a transfusion because I lost a lot of blood. The...child didn't make it," Katheryn responded solemnly.

Empathetic, William bowed his head and said, "I'm sorry to hear that, Miss. Belmont." Alex nodded her head in agreement.

It appeared that Kathy was trying her hardest to hold herself together. "I wholly believe everything happens for a reason."

William didn't really agree with her but nodded anyway. After all, how is it possible that everything happens for a reason when he's witnessed so many tragedies and destroyed lives?

Kathy took a deep breath and tried to put on a brave face, "Is that all, detective's?" She asked them. It was obvious that she was getting anxious for them to leave.

"Just one more thing," Will answered, "Have you had any contact with Daniel since your accident?"

Kathy shook her head. "No," she told them. William imagined that if she had been in contact with him, she probably would have lied about it. But he could tell she was telling the truth about this, as well as the rest of her story. "When I think about it, detective's, there's no doubt in my mind that if Daniel knew I was alive, he would contact me. And he hasn't. Not once. So he must not know."

William accepted this. He agreed with her. Kathy's "death" must have triggered this delusion in Daniel's mind. He most likely wouldn't have committed this act if he had known his girlfriend wasn't dead. But how disconnected from reality must he have been if he hadn't even seen it in the newspapers or TV?

Kathy looked at each of the detective's, "Why have you come? Has Daniel done something?"

William and Alex eyeballed each other. "There's something you should know, Miss. Belmont," Alex admitted to the woman.

The dread was evident on Katheryn's face, "What is it?"

William started, "When I saw you, I told you you looked like someone I know." Kathy urged him to continue. "There's a fifteen year old year involved in a case we're working on at the moment, and the two of you look eerily alike." William brought out Katelyn Morris' picture and when Kathy saw it, she brought a hand to her mouth in a gasp.