Chapter 17: Steve

COPYRIGHT © SARAH MARTIN 2015

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THIS BOOK OR ANY PORTION OF THIS BOOK THEREOF MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR. ANY UNAUTHORIZED COPYING, BROADCASTING, MANIPULATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF THIS COPYRIGHT IS PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

Part Seventeen

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Steve

I stumbled away from the bed, breathing heavily with my heart pounding. She wasn't moving. Why wasn't she moving? Standing at the foot of the bed, I stared at the body. Because she's dead, Steve. You idiot. You killed her, I thought to myself.

I didn't mean to be a killer. It wasn't my fault. She wouldn't shut up, I tried to reassure myself.

She deserved it.

I closed my eyes, and tried to imagine myself with Katheryn by my side. We hadn't had a care in the world. I missed that.

I opened my eyes again and the body remained. Looking at her, I groaned, "Ugh," then reached for the blanket and swiftly pulled it over her. I didn't need to look at her. I had to focus. With her body out of sight, I rushed to the dresser, snatching the video camera and turned it off.

I unlocked the door and made my way downstairs to the living room, where I left my laptop and equipment. I sat down on the couch, setting the camera on the coffee table.

Soon, I had everything ready, and I was staring at the footage on the screen. I skipped to the scene with Katie and Trace. I wouldn't worry about Sabrina's footage yet. I sighed then, realizing that I now had one less family to get money from. Oh well. They didn't have to know she was dead.

Maybe I could even throw Trace's parents into the mix. I grinned. Hopefully I would gain a lot more than I might lose from this.

I let the tape play and it reached the moment where I shot Trace. Sitting on the couch, I jumped when I heard the gun shot. I had forgotten how fast it happened.

I cut and deleted the bad footage. Soon I had it burned onto a DVD, and I was ready to go. I had to do something about the body in the bed...

As I was about to head back upstairs, my cell phone on the coffee table started vibrating. I picked it up and answered.

"Dude, where are you?" I heard.

It was my partner. I promised him I would give him 20% of my earnings if he did some stuff for me.

"Ah, complications man," I answered. "I'll be out in like 15 minutes."

"Alright. Hurry up. I'm getting impatient," he replied.

"Yeah, yeah," I rolled my eyes. I was about to hang up when something occurred to me, "Hey, make sure the back of the van is cleared out."

"Wait, why?" I heard, confusion in his voice. And then he seemed to get it, "What the fuck did you do, man?"

I responded, "Don't worry about it," then quickly said, "Sit tight," and hung up.

Slightly rattled, I ran up the stairs to fetch the body. I picked her up, still wrapped in the bed sheet, and slung the deadweight body over my shoulder.

When I stepped out into the night, I saw my partner, Howard, with the van in the driveway, and I speed walked in that direction. Evidently he saw me coming because he jumped out of the passenger seat to meet me halfway. His face was a picture of shock when he saw what I had on my person, "Steve, is that a body?" He questioned, his mouth agape.