Chapter 32: Fiona

COPYRIGHT © SARAH MARTIN 2015

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THIS BOOK OR ANY PORTION OF THIS BOOK THEREOF MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR. ANY UNAUTHORIZED COPYING, BROADCASTING, MANIPULATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF THIS COPYRIGHT IS PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

Chapter Thirty-Two

Frantic, Fiona and Adrian arrived at their house with Fiona's parents. They never anticipated their home being the scene of a crime, never mind the kidnapping of their daughters. You never imagine something like this happening to your family and when it does, it's unbearable.

Why, God? Fiona thought to herself beseechingly as she climbed out of the car, seeing all the people outside their house. Not only was there a whole slew of police officers and officials, there was also onlookers grouping on the other side of the crime scene tape, trying to get a look at what was going on.

Fiona's heart beat heavily in her chest as she took her husbands hand. Since seeing that... tape, Fiona was barely holding on to reality. This can't be happening.

Fiona and Adrian ran toward the crime scene tape with her parents behind them, where officers tried to hold them back. "It's our house! That's our house!" Fiona screamed hysterically. How could this incompetent officer keep her from her house? From her girls?

Recognition crossed his face and he ushered the group through. Once on the other side, they ran toward the house and suddenly a girl was running towards them. "Mr. and Mrs. Morris!" The girl called, tears streaming down her face. It was Lilah Hayward, their neighbour.

"Lilah!" Adrian exclaimed when Lilah reached them, "What are you doing here?"

The distraught girl swiped tears from her cheeks and answered, "Trace is inside, and he's injured," she told them and their eyes widened, "The police are getting ready to move in."

Lilah grabbed Fiona's arm, "Come on!" She called, pulling them forward. They followed.

--

The SWAT team all stood ready directly outside the house where the hostages were being held. Seven men stood alert, suited up with guns at the ready.

Suddenly there was a shouting behind them and the Chief saw Lilah Hayward with an ensemble of adults trailing behind her. "Mr. Malick!" Lilah exclaimed. Charles sighed in exasperation. He didn't need this right now.

"Yes, Miss. Hayward?" He questioned politely.

The older woman next to Lilah spoke next, "I'm Fiona Morris and this is my husband Adrian. We're Katelyn and Julia's parents, and these are my mother and father," The Chief nodded to each of them quickly in greeting.

"Can you tell us what's happening?" Adrian asked.

"We're preparing the SWAT team to move in," he told them, "I ask that you stay back and try to remain calm and let us do our jobs."

"But-" Lilah started to object.

"Please, Miss. Hayward. Any time spent discussing the situation is time wasted. Please. stay back."

"But, where's Detective Finley?" She asked him.

"He's around here somewhere," he answered. It struck him then that he had no idea where William and Alex had run off to. Where are they when I need them?

Lilah's face was stricken and she turned around and walked away. Charles had some officers take the parents somewhere where they would be comfortable.