Chapter 31: William

COPYRIGHT © SARAH MARTIN 2015

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THIS BOOK OR ANY PORTION OF THIS BOOK THEREOF MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR. ANY UNAUTHORIZED COPYING, BROADCASTING, MANIPULATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF THIS COPYRIGHT IS PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

Part Thirty-One

William 

William ambled away from the hustle and bustle of the crime scene, and toward the ambulance where a certain teen currently resided. He heaved open the closed ambulance doors to find Lilah Hayward waking up with a start.

He hopped into the vehicle saying, "Sorry to disturb you." Lilah sat up on the medical litter and extended her arms in a stretch.

"That's alright," she croaked, sleepy.

"I just thought I'd check up on you," he told her, sitting down across from her.

She yawned, "What did I miss? Is Trace okay?"

"I can't really give you the details, but I can assure you we'll bring your brother out safely."

Lilah closed her eyes and covered them with her well manicured hand. She sighed, "I just... I don't know what I'll do if he doesn't make it," her voice cracked again, this time from exhaustion and emotion. "I just feel so guilty. I told him I would come back for him... and I didn't."

William patted her shoulder comfortingly and said, "Don't blame yourself. Trace understands that the situation is out of your control and I'm sure he knows you did everything you could."

She gave him a timid, grateful smile, "Thank you."

"Of course," he stood up, "Do you need anything? A drink? Some food?"

"No, I'm alright, thank you," she answered.

"If you're sure, I better get back to...y'know," he gestured outside the ambulance with a flick of his wrist.

The detective climbed out and was immediately greeted by a frantic looking Alex. He walked beside her, "You okay Ella?"

She ran her fingers through her dishevelled ponytail. "I'm just thinking there's got to be something we can do to help."

They watched as Chief Malick discussed the situation animatedly with the SWAT leader. "How many men do you have ready?" They heard Charles ask the SWAT man, a serious look on his face. "I'm sure there is," William said to her thoughtfully, "We just have to figure out what that is."

William thought of Katheryn Belmont and how what Daniel did to her seemed to be the partial cause of all this. Maybe if Katheryn triggered it, she could be the key to taming the beast as well.

Will grabbed Detective Emerson's arm, "Alex, I have an idea," he announced, his eyes dancing.

He began pulling her toward a marked police vehicle. It would take them where they needed to go faster than his unmarked car. "Where are we going?" Alex questioned.

"I'll explain on the way. Lets go."

--

Crouched on the floor, Mary shivered as she felt a draft come from the window above her. Although, she barely noticed the cold on account of her frenzied mind. Sabrina's death was so tragic and heartbreaking and Mary felt responsible. Maybe if she hadn't been so harsh to Sabrina before Steve took her away, he would have taken Mary instead and Sabrina would be spared. After all, Mary couldn't blame her for being so hostile and angry. People just handle trauma in differently, right?