Chapter 4: Katie

COPYRIGHT © SARAH MARTIN 2015

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THIS BOOK OR ANY PORTION OF THIS BOOK THEREOF MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR. ANY UNAUTHORIZED COPYING, BROADCASTING, MANIPULATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF THIS COPYRIGHT IS PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

Part Four

Saturday, February 6, 2010

6 days before the party

The next morning - or afternoon, I should say -  I was still in bed at 1:30. The night before, I was thinking about what happened while I was showering too much to get to sleep at a half decent time.

I jolted awake by a pounding on our front door of the house. I sat up groggily, rubbing my eyes. For a moment, I felt dizzy and lightheaded, but it passed.

It was possible that the door had been ajar and the wind blew it open. I decided, thinking about it again. So, I put my foot down, and vowed not to think about it anymore. I wouldn't even have time to think about it, with my party coming up.

I slipped out of bed, pressing my feet onto the cold hardwood floor of my bedroom. The knocking on the front door continued, and from downstairs, I heard my mom shout, "Katelyn! Get out of bed! It's Trace!" She must have peeked out the window to see who it was.

"I'll be right there!" I called back, slipping on my robe. I couldn't answer the door for Trace, wearing booty shorts and a tank top, now could I?

I ventured downstairs, yawning. I reached the bottom of the stairs and looked to the right, to see my parents sitting in the kitchen. I veered left to the door and sighed.

I yanked it open, only to come face to face with the inevitable, Trace Hayward. He grinned as soon as he got a look at me, then smirked. "Hey Katie," he said, walking in, without being invited. "Didn't wanna put clothes on for me?" He teased. I blushed, folding my robe up tightly.

"Shut up Trace," I stuck my tongue out.

"Katie, if Trace is staying, you guys need to go down to the basement," my mom said from the kitchen.

I grabbed his arm and yanked him to the basement door, which was only a couple feet away. "Okay," I replied. Trace was becoming way too comfortable in a house that wasn't even his. Not that I didn't enjoy having him around. He just assumed he was always welcome.

I held my robe shut as we walked down to the basement together.

"Trace," I said, frowning. He had sprawled himself out on my basement couch, shoes and all.

"Katelyn," he mocked. I rolled my eyes. He sat up, and plunked his feet onto the table in front of the couch. "What's up?"

"You're the one who came here," I replied, standing awkwardly near him.

"Yeah, well, I was just bored," he informed me. "Now I wanna know whats up with you, Miss. Lazy," I rolled my eyes, sitting down beside him.

"I didn't sleep good last night," I told him.

His playful expression turned into a concerned one. "Oh, how come?" He asked.

"I don't know... just a lot on my mind," I said, not wanting to tell him about what happened. "You know, with the party coming up and stuff..."

"Oh, yeah, I forgot you were having that birthday slumber party thing, which, by the way, I'm completely offended that you didn't invite me to," he flipped his hair like a girl and pouted.