Chapter 19: June 22, 2010

COPYRIGHT © SARAH MARTIN 2015

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THIS BOOK OR ANY PORTION OF THIS BOOK THEREOF MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR. ANY UNAUTHORIZED COPYING, BROADCASTING, MANIPULATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF THIS COPYRIGHT IS PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

Part Nineteen
June 22, 2010
Therapy

Tuesday I had to walk to therapy because both my parents were at work, and I didn't drive. It was too close for the bus. Plus, that would cost me money. That afternoon, I trudged downstairs with my purse in tow. At the front door, I put on my runners and slipped into my jacket. It was drizzling outside but still warm. I slung my purse over my shoulder and opened the front door only to be greeted by none other than Trace, as he was about to ring the doorbell.

Great timing, I thought sarcastically. I hadn't spoken to him since the catastrophe on Saturday.

I was unbelievably embarrassed and ashamed. He would look at me differently and would never want to see me again, I was sure of it.

But there he was, standing in front of me, looking as handsome as ever. But he did look distraught. That, I was absolutely positive.

"Hi Katie," he greeted me.

I mumbled a "hello" then closed and locked the front door. I brushed passed him without making eye contact. "It's kind of a bad time," I told him, as I walked quickly down the driveway. "I have to go to therapy."

Following me, he grabbed my shoulder when he reached me, saying, "Let me walk you there."

I stared at his hand then shrugged it off, and he retracted like he didn't realize at first that the contact was a bad move. He mumbled a "sorry" and I stared straight ahead as he walked beside me along the sidewalk.

"I guess so," I said.

He smiled timidly, "Alright. Thanks."

We walked in silence for a few minutes, until I gave in and said, "I'm really sorry about Saturday. I was an idiot and I'm so embarrassed."

He stopped walking abruptly and I followed, "No Katie, there's no reason for you to be embarrassed. I understand. I shouldn't have pushed you."

I shook my head, "You don't understand. Don't say you do."

"Okay, I don't completely understand, but I can imagine how you're feeling," he said.

I shrugged and started walking again, "And you didn't push me at all. It was all me. I don't know what came over me," I hung my head in shame. I shrugged and said again, "I'm sorry."

He took my hand, "It's fine, Katie." I put my head on his shoulder again.

Before I knew it, we had reached the building. We approached and I saw a boy come out the front doors. He had long, dark, brunette hair. He looked tall and skinny but with some muscles on him, and was maybe about 17 or 18.

When he left the building, he was staring down at the ground, but when he looked up and saw me, his face lit up in a gorgeous smile that showed off his polished white teeth. "Katie?" He said, as he turned and started walking towards Trace and I as we made our way to the front door.

"Hello?" I greeted, questioningly. When he got closer, I started to recognize him and realized I'd met him before, but I couldn't remember how or when.

When we reached each other, he stood in front of us, saying, "Hey," with a small grin on his face. When he saw the confusion on my face, he pouted and said, "You don't remember me, do you?"