Chapter 37: Epilogue

COPYRIGHT © SARAH MARTIN 2015

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THIS BOOK OR ANY PORTION OF THIS BOOK THEREOF MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR. ANY UNAUTHORIZED COPYING, BROADCASTING, MANIPULATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF THIS COPYRIGHT IS PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

Epilogue

Three months later

 Katie stared out the window, watching for Jackson to drive-up. They were going to a movie together. Her parents were at work and Mary was upstairs doing homework. She had been staying in Julia's room since Katie found her at the cemetery three months ago. She seemed to be doing okay, though she was quiet. Katie's hair was longer and full of life and she had a constant flattering blush in her cheeks.

School had started up again and Katie saw Julia in the hallways occasionally, as much as she tried to avoid her. The girl would send Katie a glare every time or otherwise just pretend she didn't exist. As much as it saddened Katie to see Julia, she still wanted to help her sister.

Lilah came for a visit before her semester at college started up. Katie spent the day with Trace and Lilah and it was awkward. Lilah was left out of the loop regarding what happened between Trace and Katie and seeing them not getting along obviously saddened her. But what could Katie do? She tried to be civil but Trace drove her crazy with his constant warnings about Jackson. What was his problem? Trace wasn't the only trustworthy male on the planet.

Katie continued going to therapy and it did help having someone unbiased to talk to about her life every week. She was happy with the way things were going in that regard. Now, Jackson on the other hand – Katie would throw a fit if he didn't make a move soon.

Katie smiled when Jackson's vehicle pulled onto her drive. She called upstairs to Mary, "Jackson's here! I'll see you later!" Katie and Jackson had been hanging out for a few months. They went to movies and to dinner and still got Starbucks every chance they got. Katie wasn't sure what they were to each other, though.

She grabbed her purse and slipped out the front door, bounding down the porch steps. She waved to Jackson while he waited for her in the car. Katie stopped in her tracks when she saw Trace approaching from next door. She sighed, looking at Jackson. She raised a finger in his direction and mouthed, "One minute."

Trace reached her appearing frantic and edgy. He looked from Katie to Jackson and then back to Katie. She rolled her eyes and said, "Let's talk on the porch." She dragged him up the stairs and they sat down. "What's up, Trace? I'm in a hurry."

"I need to talk to you," he said speedily.

"What about?" Katie sighed inwardly. It didn't take a genius to figure out what it was about. Trace looked over his shoulder at Jackson who was now out of the vehicle and leaning up against the car.

"Jackson," Trace stated.

Katie sighed and stood up, "I don't have time for--"

Trace grabbed her arm suddenly, pulling her back down. She planted her butt on the seat, "This is important." The urgency in his voice startled her and she was frozen in place. "Just listen." He paused, "I know you'll be angry but I need you to know this. I just want you to be safe."

What was he going on about now? "Okay," she said dully.

"Katie?" Jackson called, "We're gonna be late!"

"I'll be there in a minute!" She shouted back.

"Do you know Jackson's last name?" Trace questioned when he had Katie's attention again.

Katie raised her eyebrow confused, and answered, "Sure, it's Mitchell... Why?"

"Okay, don't hate me, but...." He trailed off.

"Spit it out."

"I sneaked into your therapists office and went through her files."

Katie's eyes widened and she gasped, "YOU WHAT?"

"Just listen," he pressed, yelling in a whisper. "I looked through her files and found Jackson's patient folder," he paused, "His name is Jackson Mitchell. But Katie, his mother is Gloria Kennedy."

Katie's brow furrowed in confusion, "Gloria...?"

"Gloria Kennedy is Daniel Kennedy's mother," Trace grabbed both her arms forcefully and leaned close. "Katie, Jackson is Daniel's half brother."

Katie froze, her heart pounding a million times a second. Staring into Trace's eyes, she knew that he was 100 percent serious. She looked away and gaped at the boy in her driveway, who was watching them intently.

God, no.