Chapter 26: June 22, 2010

COPYRIGHT © SARAH MARTIN 2015

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

THIS BOOK OR ANY PORTION OF THIS BOOK THEREOF MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED OR USED IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER WITHOUT THE WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR. ANY UNAUTHORIZED COPYING, BROADCASTING, MANIPULATION OR INFRINGEMENT OF THIS COPYRIGHT IS PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

The pic is Chord Overstreet who plays Trace and the song is "Crawl (Carry Me Through)" by Superchic[k]. Sorry this chapter is kinda boring, but it's keeping you in suspense, right? Make sure to vote and comment, please! 

Part Twenty-Six

June 22, 2010

As the mental image of Katheryn Belmont's face faded from my mind, I shuddered and looked up at Dr. Pierce, knowing that our time was up. She put down the notepad that she was taking notes in, and said to me, "Are you stopping there?"

I nodded, "Yeah."

"Okay, Katie," Dr. Pierce answered, "We've covered a lot today. I'm very pleased. How are you feeling?"

I shrugged, "I just can't wait to finish this stupid story and see what you have to say to me," I told her.

Understandingly, she nodded, "The healing process will be really difficult for you at first, but you'll get through it. It's my job to make sure of it."

I gave her a gratefully sincere smile, and responded, "Thank you."

We went through the routine of saying our goodbyes, and she accompanied me out of her office. She let me know that my next appointment would be on Thursday.

When I got home, I found my mom in the kitchen, just starting on dinner. When I stepped into the room, she was at the stove with her back to me, humming along to the radio music she had playing. I cleared my throat to announce my presence. She turned around and adjusted the volume on her music, "Oh, Katie! You're back. How did it go?"

"Pretty good," I told her, sitting down at the table.

She smiled and responded, "Great!" Then turned to stirring the food in the pot of whatever she was making.

My mom seemed strangely exuberant and I raised my eyebrows, questioning, "What's going on?"

"OH!" She exclaimed, I jumped in my seat at the sudden volume. "I invited the Hayward's over for dinner tonight!" She told me, grinning.

My eyes widened and my heart stopped momentarily, "W-w-why?"

"Katelyn, don't look at me like that," she commanded, "It's a good chance for us to catch up with them. Plus, we owe them." It was definitely true that we were obligated to them, after what happened.

I groaned, "But why all of them? It's going to be--" My mother cut me off. Awkward, I finished in my mind.

"Katelyn, stop complaining and go upstairs to pick something nice to wear for our guests. I'm making spaghetti and meatballs." She turned away from me for the final time and I sighed, getting up off the chair and stomping up the stairs. She knew I hated spaghetti.

In my room, I sat on my bed and stared at my closet like a zombie. I didn't own a lot of nice clothes. For a girl, I hated dressing up.

I took my cell phone from my pocket and held it in my lap. I quickly went from gaping at my closet, clueless to staring at my phone, indifferent. Should I call her? I asked myself.

I sighed, thought, What the hell? Then dialled her number.

Please don't answer, please don't answer, I thought as it rang. I heard a click and then her voice, "Hello?"