AN 5: Preview #3!

Who's your favourite author who made time to update.... :) Hey guys! I just got a new laptop, so guess what that means! MORE UPDATES!!!! YAYYYYY!!!!! I've been working on my other ongoing fanfiction "Star Wars Rebels: Time Travel", and once that's done, the sequel to this story takes priority on Wattpad!!! So go give it a read and give me motivation to finish it faster! But hey.... I wrote you guys another preview! Here it is!

May the Force be with you,

-LothalRebelUltraFan

*NOTE: MINOR EDITS MAY BE MADE TO THIS EXCERPT BEFORE IT'S RELEASE.*

"Dad?"

Kanan sighed and grasped his comlink, putting it to his mouth. "Yes, Daniel?" He had just been about to sit down at the rustic kitchen table in Collette's home, topped wiith a nice warm meal, when his comlink had started to signal.

"Dad, I need you to come home. Eli's mental condition is acting up again." Dev said quickly, his voice laced with a waring undertone.

Kanan shut off his comlink and hurriedly attached it to his belt. "I'm terribly sorry, but I have to go."

Collette eyed him strangely. "Your son sounded urgent. What's wrong?"

"He just.... he has a mental condition," Kanan said quickly, trying to keep his voice even-paced and relaxed. "Sometimes his imagination gets the best of him."

In truth, this was partly true. Referring to 'Eli's mental condition' was code for "Ezra had a vision".

Which had become less common since they had left the rebel fleet, but still not unheard of.

"Oh." Collette gave him a glance. What she was thinking, Kanan honestly wasn't sure. He hurried to the door, and the woman followed behind him. "Well, it's a shame that you have to leave. Are you sure you want to go out in that storm? As I'm sure you know, dust storms on Dantooine can be lethal."

Kanan smiled grimly. "I have to."

"Oh. Well, I hope your son is better when you return home."

'Thank you." Kanan finished putting on his boots and reached for the door.

"Wait!" Collette grabbed his arm, stopping him from opening the door. "Um.... Will we see you around again?"

Over the years, he had become a master at detecting emotions and motives in people. He knew when something was off or wrong.

And something was wrong here.

Kanan looked into Collette's eyes. There were far too many emotions there for her to be innocent and not with an interior motive. "Why don't you want me to return to my son?" He asked slowly.

She stammered frantically. Her calm composure shattered. "Uh, the dust storm....it could um, kill you.... And...."

A loud bang on the door made both of them jump.

"Open the door in the name of the Empire!" A mechanical voice bellowed.

Kanan whirled to face the woman. His hand hovered over his blaster. He didn't speak, simply stared at her.

"You're the rebel from Lothal," she stated. "They've been looking all over the galaxy for you. I'm sorry."

Kanan shook his head. "No, you're not." He said sadly.

Leaping past her, he bolted for the kitchen. He raced past Collette's shocked children and dove into the window at full speed. Behind him, he heard the door open and the sound of blasters cocking and footsteps pounding.

But he was busy falling out in a shower of glass into the cloudy, dusty Dantooine night.

One thing he had gotten weaker at over his second time in hiding, was remembering that not everyone could be trusted.