Chapter 16: The Pain That Will Never Fade

"Nooooooooooooooooo!" Ezra and Dev screamed at the exact same moment. The Seventh Sister walked casually to stand beside Darth Vader, lightsaber deactivated, as the two Jedi-in-training raced to their friend's side, kneeling on the ground beside her.

"Mel! Mel, you–" Dev started, but the colour was already draining from the girl's face as she took his hand weakly.

"There's no saving me," she spoke softly, gently. Her eyes dimmed further. "Thanks for all the memories."

"No. You can't die. Not now. We can save you! There must be something we can do. Ezra?" He turned to the former Padawan, green eyes pleading.

But all Ezra could do was shake his head sadly. "I'm sorry," he said quietly to Mel. "I should have sensed it coming. I should have protected you."

She shook her head slightly at him. "No.... This was my destiny.... Don't blame you. Thanks for.... helping us, Ezra. Make sure he–" Mel nodded at a white-faced Dev, who was staring at her in panic, still gripping her hand. "–Doesn't.... get himself killed.... anytime.... soon."

Ezra smiled slightly and nodded once, agreeing to do as she wished, as she turned to her other friend.

"You hear that? Don't wanna.... See you.... Anytime soon.... In the Force." She took a deep, shaky breath, and Dev knew that she would die very soon.

"Fair enough." Dev smiled slightly, though his eyes watered. "Goodbye, sister," he whispered to her. Though he spoke metaphorically, his heartache was clear. Losing her would forever damage him. His heart was breaking inside, hurting him, scarring him so deeply he would never forget the pain. That he knew with all of his soul.

The wound would fade, but the scars would remain forever.

Mel squeezed his hand, and tilted her head. "Goodbye, brother." Her beautiful blue eyes faded to grey as her life force left her. Both of the two teenage boys felt her death throughout the Force, as a splitting pain inside them, that would someday fade, but remain as an echo.

Her head rolled to the side and everyone, Vader aside, gasped as the room was suddenly filled with a bright, blinding white light. They all shielded their eyes with their hands, and when the light faded, Mel's body was gone. She had simply vanished.

"What just...." Dev started.

"No clue." Ezra said in shock. "I'm sorry."

"I know." Dev said sadly. "So am I."

Both boys stood and turned to face their enemies, knowing they needed to concentrate on not dying now. The time for mourning could–and would–come later.

But still, the words of a song flashed through Ezra's mind.

You don't need this broken kind of love.

I feel the loneliness seep into my bones.

"Naive child," Darth Vader said to Ezra. "I told you: The only way to save your friend was through the dark side, and now look at what has happened. I would suggest not making the same mistake with your remaining comrade."

"We're not afraid of you," Dev said through gritted teeth, clenching his fists, surveying the situation sharply. One Sith, two Inquisitors. Only one exit. He and Ezra had no weapons, their opponents has plenty, and they had backup that they could call in.